Getting rid of Single Recto and JC120 to get a Roadster... ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismofreakish

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm really wondering what to do here...

I have my Single Recto for my dirt tones which I LOVE (special selected tubes (non Mesa's)) with a Mesa vertical 2x12, and my JC120 for my cleans. On paper and for the ears, it's awesome, but since my band is doing more and more shows, I'd like to find a head that would do all I want and need. Carrying all that rig around is becoming a pain in the you-know-where.

The clean of the Single is decent, but not loud enough without becoming distorted for unmiked venues, and well, since I need the loop for sometimes clean FX, sometimes dirt's, I found myself looking toward the Roadster, which on/off FX loop option on each channel would be really useful.

I guess the clean of the Roadster, although nice, wouldn't compare to my JC120, but that's ok since the clean of my Single Recto was decent for my taste anyway (even though I'd like having the nicest clean available).

It's really the dirt channel of the Roadster I'm wondering about... I often read here on the forum you guys saying it's less violent, darker... I do high gain modern rock and really need a big, tight distortion (you can listen some of our songs in my signature if you when, thus you could hear pretty much my actual sound).

I will for sure go try one soon, but since I just can't bring my own tubes (those made the difference between selling my single head to drooling when hearing it now) and swap the factory tubes with mine to really compare, I'd like to have some input for those of you who heard/have both.

Our songs would be great too with the 4 channels... so I'm not looking anywhere near a dual, triple even the new multiwatts. It's really just the Roadster I'm looking for.

I'm planning selling my single recto head, my 4x12 Mesa oversized cabinet and maybe my Roland Jazz Chorus 212 too, although I might not get a lot from it (since its old, doesn't look anything like new), I'd like not having to pay anything at the end.

However, the switching must be flawless (no delay or pop... is it the case of the Roadster?)
Any of you could help me out here?

Thanks a lot!

IMHO- I think your moving into the right direction. I owned a Single Rec (first series) for 10 years and had a bad experience with it. It was easy to run out of headroom with it, especially in the cleans. I don't have any first hand experience playing a Roadster, but I haven't ever heard a bad one live or in the studio...and I've heard a bunch of them. I really like the darker sound of it compared to the other Recs. The cleans on it are quite impressive-no doubt.

I guess the clean of the Roadster, although nice, wouldn't compare to my JC120, but that's ok since the clean of my Single Recto was decent for my taste anyway (even though I'd like having nicest clean available).

JC120 and Roadster are different kinds of cleans. The JC120 has more headroom and is a bit more pristine. The Roadster can get pretty clean as well but it'll be a different flavor.

It's really the dirt channel of the Roadster I'm wondering about... I often read here on the forum you guys saying it's less violent, darker... I do high gain modern rock and really need a big, tight distortion (you can listen some of our songs in my signature if you when, thus you could hear pretty much my actual sound).

You'll be fine, but you might run your treble/presence slightly higher than you did on your single.

However, the switching must be flawless (no delay or pop... is it the case of the Roadster?)
Any of you could help me out here?

If you leave your reverb engaged all the time (whether it's on 0 or 10), there is no delay in switching. If you turn it off, there is a slight delay. If you cycle through the channels while the amp is in standby, it doesn't pop either. I like to cycle them through once right after bringing the amp out of standby as well, cause sometimes it doesn't get it all in one go.

Ok, I'm checking out your music now. Check out these Mesa Boogie heads in addition to the Roadster: Mark V, Stiletto Deuce, and Definitely the Electra Dyne. Also check out the Royal Atlantic when it comes out. Of these amps the Roadster, Mark V, Royal Atlantic, and Electra Dyne will give you fantastic cleans AND high gains! If money is an issue it is also worth considering the 2 channel Dual Rectos. They will give you WAY more clean headroom and the cleans are ok. A Dual Rectifier Tremoverb is another FANTASTIC option for around $1200.

If you go with the 2 Channel Dual or Tremoverb option you can either use a boost pedal for solos or you can run your gain higher and back off the volume on your guitar for crunch tones. That is what I do.

For your style, I'd recommend the Electra Dyne first, followed by the Roadster. The clean on the Electra Dyne is absolutely jaw dropping and the crunch tone is very mid focused and smooth in the highs. For cost efficient options, I'd recommend FIRST OF ALL a Tremoverb followed by the 2 Channel Dual Rev F or G.

Thank you YellowJacket,

The fact is that I'm leaning toward the Roadster because of the 4 channels, the on/off FX switching and the "same" sound I love about my Single Recto. I really love my actual sound but need more options to be able to do it all with only a head.

I'm sure the Electro Dyne has a great clean and even a great dirt channel though, I'll still check it out, thanks for your input, I appreciate! :)

nismofreakish said:
Thank you YellowJacket,

The fact is that I'm leaning toward the Roadster because of the 4 channels, the on/off FX switching and the "same" sound I love about my Single Recto. I really love my actual sound but need more options to be able to do it all with only a head.

I'm sure the Electro Dyne has a great clean and even a great dirt channel though, I'll still check it out, thanks for your input, I appreciate! :)

SAME sound as your single? Hmmmm. Check out the 2 channel Dual Recto then. Rev F or G. Well, it won't be exactly the same but close. You'll find it is thicker and beefier sounding. More thump and 'balls' to the sound. You'll also find that with the tube rectifiers, it is somehow sweeter. Consider it better overall.

Second option would have to be the new Dual Rectifier Reborn heads. The Roadster is darker sounding and I was quite underwhelmed by channels 3 and 4. (1 and 2, the clean tones, were phenomental) With the Dual Rectifier Reborn you can use rectifier tracking to select different rectifiers per channel. You can also select the output power per channel which is great. For instance, you can set channel two and three both to 50watts for dirt. This will give you a similar tone to your single. It won't have the extra beef / heaviness of the Dual running at 100watts. You can then select 100watts for the clean tone to maintain headroom. The Dual Recto Reborn heads have a vastly improved clean tone which is something you may be interested in as well.
If you need even more clean headroom, you can consider the Triple Recto Reborn. You can run your crunch channels at 50watts once again, but you have the option of running 150watts clean for even more headroom.

Hope this helps!

Mesa Electra Dyne Demo. You'll have to wait until near the end for the high gain tones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLpk6H5YX3A

Multi-Watt Dual Recto Head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82trOdwh3-I&feature=related

YellowJacket said:
SAME sound as your single? Hmmmm. Check out the 2 channel Dual Recto then. Rev F or G. Well, it won't be exactly the same but close. You'll find it is thicker and beefier sounding. More thump and 'balls' to the sound. You'll also find that with the tube rectifiers, it is somehow sweeter. Consider it better overall.

Second option would have to be the new Dual Rectifier Reborn heads. The Roadster is darker sounding and I was quite underwhelmed by channels 3 and 4. (1 and 2, the clean tones, were phenomental) With the Dual Rectifier Reborn you can use rectifier tracking to select different rectifiers per channel. You can also select the output power per channel which is great. For instance, you can set channel two and three both to 50watts for dirt. This will give you a similar tone to your single. It won't have the extra beef / heaviness of the Dual running at 100watts. You can then select 100watts for the clean tone to maintain headroom. The Dual Recto Reborn heads have a vastly improved clean tone which is something you may be interested in as well.
If you need even more clean headroom, you can consider the Triple Recto Reborn. You can run your crunch channels at 50watts once again, but you have the option of running 150watts clean for even more headroom.

Hope this helps!

Mesa Electra Dyne Demo. You'll have to wait until near the end for the high gain tones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLpk6H5YX3A

Multi-Watt Dual Recto Head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82trOdwh3-I&feature=related

I would not be so quick to discredit the Roadster - IME it can get as bright/aggressive as a 2010 recto with simple settings adjustments.. but the 2010 recto can not do everything the Roadster can. As for the 2 channel, I think that would depend on whether or not he could live with only two channels.

b0nkersx said:
I would not be so quick to discredit the Roadster - IME it can get as bright/aggressive as a 2010 recto with simple settings adjustments.. but the 2010 recto can not do everything the Roadster can. As for the 2 channel, I think that would depend on whether or not he could live with only two channels.

The Roadster is a GREAT amp but it is not the same amp as a 2010 Dual or an old 2 Channel Dual. Consider that my first recommendation to him was this:

For your style, I'd recommend the Electra Dyne first, followed by the Roadster. The clean on the Electra Dyne is absolutely jaw dropping and the crunch tone is very mid focused and smooth in the highs. For cost efficient options, I'd recommend FIRST OF ALL a Tremoverb followed by the 2 Channel Dual Rev F or G.

but then he said he wanted the 'same' sound as his Single Rec so I was offering my opinion based on that. Roadsters are GREAT heads but they are fundamentally different than the old 2 channel heads or the reborn heads. There are people here who would agree with me. I think if this guy can, he should try every amp that has been listed in this thread thus far, and make an informed decision based on that. At the end of the day, he needs to decide what 'the same tone as my single recto' means. He'll know what works best for him!

As for 2 channels, I think that guitarists these days have been relying on the amp to do what a volume knob on a guitar is fully capable of doing. I run a clean tone and a dirt tone with my 2 Channel Dual. When I need different tones, I use my volume knob to get them. (The Roadster or Mark V would be ace in a cover band though)

YellowJacket said:
The Roadster is a GREAT amp but it is not the same amp as a 2010 Dual or an old 2 Channel Dual. Consider that my first recommendation to him was this:

but then he said he wanted the 'same' sound as his Single Rec so I was offering my opinion based on that. Roadsters are GREAT heads but they are fundamentally different than the old 2 channel heads or the reborn heads. There are people here who would agree with me. I think if this guy can, he should try every amp that has been listed in this thread thus far, and make an informed decision based on that. At the end of the day, he needs to decide what 'the same tone as my single recto' means. He'll know what works best for him!

As for 2 channels, I think that guitarists these days have been relying on the amp to do what a volume knob on a guitar is fully capable of doing. I run a clean tone and a dirt tone with my 2 Channel Dual. When I need different tones, I use my volume knob to get them. (The Roadster or Mark V would be ace in a cover band though)

Good advice :) I must have missed your first recommendation

Roadsters are GREAT heads but they are fundamentally different than the old 2 channel heads or the reborn heads.

I don't think they're terribly far off from the reborn heads, but I still agree.

Thanks guy.

I think I'll put my amps for sale... so I'm looking for a Roadster head, 2008 and up, black.

A straight trade with my Single Recto + 4x12 Mesa cab would be possible, but only if you're in town.

Still, if you have any other comments about the Roadster, I'd be glad to read them!

Thx a lot !

But guys, is it possible to tell me about the delay/pop thing? 'Cause in my band' songs, I just can't afford having any delay, it must be flawless. Would a voodoo man switching pedal (or equivalent) solve the problem? I plan to leave the Reverb on all the time, if this helps.

It's an important point for me.

Thanks a lot !

nismofreakish said:
But guys, is it possible to tell me about the delay/pop thing? 'Cause in my band' songs, I just can't afford having any delay, it must be flawless. Is a voodoo man switching pedal (or equivalent) would solve the problem? I plan to leave the Reverb on all the time, if this helps.

It's an important point for me.

Thanks a lot !

There is no delay on the Roadster's channel changes... changes are instant and don't have the dropout of the Single Recto.

What there is is a switching delay on the reverb. When you change channels it cuts the reverb (but not the dry tone) for around a second before it fades it back in. Mesa did this intentionally so that there isn't big jumps in reverb volume when changing channels. As you can imagine, having reverb trails that jump around in volume when channel switching would be more irritating than a momentary drop out.

Hi guys,

I still hear every now and then that the Roadster has a darker/warmer/smoothier sound... I'm actually wondering what that really means. Is there any video/soundclip comparison between a "normal" recto and the Roadster?

I plan to try one soon, but the only one around here is a 1x12 combo (I want a head), so I ignore if the sound will really be that representative (since I own and always only played through vertical 2x12 and a 4x12).

I know a lot of you guys own a Roadster, any of you who have played both would like to share? My actual single recto tone sounds pretty much like our demo (the studio guy added some highs for the sake of the final overall band sound) as you can hear when clicking on the link in my signature (listen to the 3rd song Give it a miss at 0:40-1:03) and I really don't want to lose any... punch, any... aggressiveness (?) in my sound, I don't know if you understand what I mean... I never boosted my amp and don't plan to.

Well, anything you guys can tell me... before I pull the trigger on a pretty much expensive amp.

Your help is very much appreciated

THANKS

I have a Roadster and a 2 channel Recto.

Honestly, there's not a whole lot of difference between the two as I can make them sound more or less the same. Mostly it's just a matter of bypassing both effects loops and running the presence a little higher on the Roadster.

I suspect that some of the Roadster's reputation for being darker/smoother sounding may have something to do with the change from parallel to a serial effects loop, although I have no real proof for my theory.

I personally was not so keen on the high gain channels on the Roadster and there was another guy who felt the same way. Yetti?? He has a 2 channel Triple Rev F and he absolutely LOVES it.

My advice before dropping cash on an expensive head:
Shop around and try EVERYTHING, everything you can get your hands on. It is best not to make a poor decision you might regret later. $10 says you'll be happy with a roadster but what do I know? go TRY STUFF!!!

Well!

I finally tried one last Sunday... man... I loved it! I played it through the same cab I have, played with my PRS, awesome amp! So much... I ordered the head! I'll receive it tomorrow... can't wait! :D

Thanks a lot you guys!

Latest posts

Back