Getting a Dual Rectifier to Cut

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree on the eq. i have a 3ch dual, Red/Vintage, and my bass knob is at 9 (which is almost off by most standards) I cut 170 and 250 HZ by 2 db and the clarity surprised me. I haven't tried it with the full band yet (**** drummers). I play in B and C# standard too.

I play heavily overdriven metal, and I tried out the silicon diode/bold combination....yes it is very punchy....however I still preferred running tube. I just turn up the gain and tweak it a little and it sounds better to ME.

However, I have pulled half my tubes out to run @ 50 watt and it sounds even better.....thenI have replaced my 6L6's with my old EL34's from my marshall and it soudns even mega better....not at silicon diode....

I am about to try putting some hot 6V6's that match bias of my el34's so I can have best of both worlds.

I had the same problem. Sounded huge in the mix, but didn't cut like I wanted it too. I tried everything (except an external eq). I ended up with a Stiletto.

I cant agree more with the idea of a graphic or parametric eq in the effects loop. I own a dual recto 2 channel with el34s and im tuned to dropped b. I want tons of bass and clarity and ability to hear all the notes I play when chording. The dual rectos and many amps have a bad habit of becoming extremely muddy when the bass is turned up. Using an eq in the loop allows you to boost the bass without any mud, but only if you boost appropriately. A parametric eq lets you dial in the frequency you want and then control the boost (gain) for that frequency and its q value (how many adjacent frequencies it affects and to what degree). A graphic eq is generally broken into a divisions of an octave for its set frequencies and then you can boost or cut only those frequencies. A graphic eq in many instances is easier to use for novices.

An eq can do a lot for almost any amp (look at the mark iv) and can be used to drastically change characteristics of an amp and many times only in the way you wanted it to (once again only if used correctly). If you found your tone but need a little change when in the mix an eq IS THE PERFECT SOLUTION.

darknewmark said:
A parametric eq lets you dial in the frequency you want and then control the boost (gain) for that frequency and its q value (how many adjacent frequencies it affects and to what degree).
Which parametric EQ are you using?

Im currently using a graphic eq but a cheap option for a graphic eq would be picking up a behringer feedback destroyer which has a parametric eq built in.

im sorry i mistyped a cheap option for a decent parametric eq would be a behringer feedback destroyer. it has a parametric eq built in and a few other features for live sound reinforcement

darknewmark said:
im sorry i mistyped a cheap option for a decent parametric eq would be a behringer feedback destroyer. it has a parametric eq built in and a few other features for live sound reinforcement
Thanks! I'm looking at the PreSonus parametric now, since it's only $99. Everything else is ridiculous.

Back