gain!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzhead

Reaction score
Does a new mark IV have enough gain?...........Do you think petrucci used any sort of overdrive in front?

are you joking., the new mk's have nice gain..loud through a qaud box it's better than a recto IMO...it's all on the setting..

if you feel like you need any more gain with a mark IV, you need to seriously reconsider your approach to guitar. if you max out the gain in all stages of the mark iv it will sound bad because there will be no focus to your sound, just mud. some moderate settings will give you plenty of gain

I am a fairly new Mark IV owner. I play metal and I LOVE this friggin' amp! I use a BBE maxcom for some compression, and a Rocktron Hush to cut noise. I am guilty of pegging the lead chanel out gain and drive wise because I love complete saturation. What sounds like crap to one man sounds like metal to me!! The thing can rip your face off, I've definitely noticed more ringing in my ears of late. I don't use any distortion in front of the amp or in the effects loop, just the two units I mentioned before. This amp is so versatile, you can get ANYTHING you want from it, all it takes is a little time to dial in, and get the EQ just where you want it. It even sounds good a fairly low volumes. I personally think you can't go wrong with a Mark IV. I bought mine used on Ebay, all I've done is re-tube. I don't know how old it is, but it is a short head, which I have rack mounted with my other gear. Rack is the way to go, especially if you need to travel with your gear freequently, so I recommend the short Head. I run mine through an oversize Recto 4x12 and it sounds great.

The Mark IV has unreal amounts of gain. There is no real reason to put anything in front of it in the form of a distortion box aside from maybe a clean boost. Go out and play one.....

As far as Petrucci goes... probably.

Yes. Absolutely. No Question. It's what you wan't. So sick. Play one and you will be addicted. Prepare for hearing loss. Rock on.

Latest posts

Back