Gain on LSC Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Reaction score
I'm in the honeymoon phase with my Classic, and I am pretty stoked about this amp! The cleans are gorgeous which is the main reason why I bought it, and the drive channel is starting to feel pretty good also. I'm just a little concerned, because I have the drive and the gain pegged :twisted: , and I'm really loving the tone, but it just feels wrong! Have I bought the wrong amp?

Here's what I'm using. . .
100 watts
thick-on
drive-all the way
gain-all the way
Treble 3:00
Mid 9:30
Bass 12:30
Presence 3:00
master 4:00
output 3:00

On my lsc 2x12 I've tried alot of different drive settings. So far all i have come up with is this. Either ultra high gain that i use for singing lead stuff, or turn the drive off and just use the gain for some bluesy stuff. Also a new set of tubes improves the 2nd ch as well.

you wont get the high gain metal sound out of the LSC. I own one too, and although it will do a great classic rock gain (ac/dc ect.), I have found it hard to get a high gain recto sound out of mine.

I bought this amp, like you did, for chanel 1. The gain on chanel one is fantastic for that saggy old blues man tone al la any of the Kings (albert, fred, BB) and SRV.

I have found you really have to have the master up highto hear the sublte differences the drive options will give you.

one thing i have learned is that the treb / mid, and to a lesser extent the bass controlls have little to no effect when your gain and drive are pegged that high. Mess with the presence. it acts a treble boost at the high gain and drive settings you are working with. Also mess with the reverb.
did you get a 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 or head/cab set up?

I have gotten some reall great sounds rolling the gain back, keeping the drive pegged and messing with the treb/mid/bass controlls.

I have come to the realization, however, that if i want a super high gain recto crunch I will havta add a distorion box in front of the amp.

This amp is worth it for the cleans alone and the high gain chanel 1. it sounds down right angelic.

Mess with the tweed option running the clean sounds. makes them oh so sweeter.

try turning the presence all the way down on your current settings. see that how sounds. play with it some.

Also I have heard of replacing the stock tubes with what I think were called KT88's? somthing like that. This supposedly turns the LSC into a little bit more of a high gain amp.

Let us know what you do!

I will mess with mine when the wife wakes up and can crank that master up again. I will let you know what settings I find good.

Alright, all good info. . . Thanks alot!

I've got the oversize 1x12". I think it's got more than enough gain for classic rock; it just doesn't get you into deep metal rhythm chunks. I may try running one of my Bogner cabs to see if the closed back can get it into that territory.

I'll probably stick with my 6L6's for a while, but is it possible to run a pair of KT88's and a pair of 6L6's with the tweed setting? It would be cool to assign the 50 watt option to the KT88's and the 100 watt option to both sets.

Yeah i have the Wide LSC too and a 1 x 12 wide extension cab. The open back tends to muddy up my low end, and give some natural reverberation.

Okay, you want a high-gain recto-like tone from the LSC? Try a pair of yellow-jacketed el-84s on the outside in Tweed. Engage the drive channel and make sure you've switched to 50W with tube rectification. Keep your gain around 2 o'clock and your drive and EQ stack to taste. Now, crank the master slowly. You'll notice that your output stage starts to clip very early, around 9-10 o'clock. You'll see that more master adds more and more of that crunchy, tight-but-loose tone that you were never able to get from the LSC. Becomes a totally different animal. Really cool and not too, too loud either. The thing about this though is that if you go to silicon diode rectification (by going to 100W or flipping the switch on back) in Tweed or any configuration in non-Tweed, then you lose that killer high-gain type sound. FYI, y'all. Toh-n.

Joshusama said:
Okay, you want a high-gain recto-like tone from the LSC? Try a pair of yellow-jacketed el-84s on the outside in Tweed. Engage the drive channel and make sure you've switched to 50W with tube rectification. Keep your gain around 2 o'clock and your drive and EQ stack to taste. Now, crank the master slowly. You'll notice that your output stage starts to clip very early, around 9-10 o'clock. You'll see that more master adds more and more of that crunchy, tight-but-loose tone that you were never able to get from the LSC. Becomes a totally different animal. Really cool and not too, too loud either. The thing about this though is that if you go to silicon diode rectification (by going to 100W or flipping the switch on back) in Tweed or any configuration in non-Tweed, then you lose that killer high-gain type sound. FYI, y'all. Toh-n.

Interesting stuff. I'm noticing, even with the stock tube configuration, the master level makes a huge difference in tone with the loop engaged. It seems like it might be the most extreme tone shaping control on the thing. It's amazing what it does to the low end.

I have been on an amp building kick and I am making a Marshall. In the process, I have been reading lots of books and been spending time in forums, etc. I have been tweaking my LSC lead channel to get a more Marshall sound. So far I am very pleased. I have one more change to do. So far I have changed the cathode, cathode bypass cap, mid pot, mid cap, treble cap. Next I plan to change the slope resistor.

Prior to that, I stopped using the loop and engaged the hard bypass and all new tubes. I am very satisfied right now!!!

Jack

I put 4 Electro-Harmonix EL-34's in my 2x12 LSC last week. I gave the amp a few days of tweaking and playing. I have had this LSC for over a year and know it well.

The headroom decreased a little. The distortion got slightly nastier. The chimey ring with my single coils also lessened some. Still the amp sounded great, but I put the Ruby 440 6L6's back in. The Twin Reverb clean tone onthe clean channel is my most used tone. The drive was more on the Marshally side, but I like the 6L6 drive tone more.

Back