G Major with Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabies

Reaction score
anybody running a TC electronic g major into the efx loop of the mark v? I typically use preset #27 (wide chorus) but I find it convenient to have a rack efx box (easier and less cabling, etc.)

i've noticed on some amps with that box, the levels are completely different (e.g. my VM2266 had a +/- signal boost in the back); this dramatically affects the sound as a result. and then the stiletto and the rivera have an efx send/return level controls.

anyways, i've noticed the amps in general sound "unbridled" and "alive" w/o the g major. is this normal and what should I expect with the M5? thx.

I use a G major in the FX loop. I also use a Wide Chorus patch that I tweaked a little with my cleans. For dirt I use mostly just the noise gate. Also does the channel switching. As for tone, yea it colors it a little, but my thought is thats its going to. Ii's another device in the signal path.

here are a couple of sound clips (WAV --> MP3 using Tascam DR-08). 10 watts channel 1 and channel 2, spongy (low voltage), G major #27 (wide chorus), Elitist LP. I'm digging this amp so far man for house jamming. Hopefully it will be reliable. Dying to crank this ***** and "crush" in ch 3.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1220385

the other clips are with the same rig except Stiletto stage 2. forgive me, I really don't practice much nowadays...

rabies said:
i've noticed the amps in general sound "unbridled" and "alive" w/o the g major. is this normal and what should I expect with the M5? thx.

Any ADA conversion of your guitar signal will result in a slight loss of dynamics. I'm sure there is a reason, but I don't know why. IMO, you should put the G-major in the closet for a while, and learn all of what what the Mark V has to offer. The 10 watt "tweed" mode is awesome, but you'll never hear "IT" with all that swirling chorus going on. :wink:

ok, is the reverb not very strong/deep. i couldn't really hear the reverb that well last nite even max'd out on ch 1 in 10 watt. maybe depends on volume? I'm assuming all the tubes (there are so **** many tubes, reminds me of my ex-RK1!) were ok after shipment.

i was really digging ch 2 a lot last nite. sounded very thick. i'll probably jam louder tonite at home. the front UI seems less confusing somehow than my ex-Mark IV. but this still is totally a tweeker's amp. the footswitch has pretty much everything you would ever need. they did a good job on this one design-wise.

only thing that kinda sucks is the guy from eBay didn't register the card/warranty so it's not transferrable AFAIK. but at least mesa hollywood is very nearby.

I don't use the onboard reverb, when I need it, I use the TC unit for reverb. Using the amp reverb seemed to mess up my tone more then anything. The sound just seemed thin.

Oh ya, call Mesa, they registered my M5 over the phone. They just prorated the warranty back to the original delivery date. But, it still got me 3.5 years of warranty. To me, that speaks volumes, when a company stands behind a product like that. Even when they could get out of the warranty, if they wanted.

I've used the G major with my Mark IV before and now the Mark V and I haven't had any problems, this unit does not suck tone at all. But you have to connect it the right way, there are different ways to connect this unit in the effects loop, just search and find different ways or follow the manual, the other thing I recommend is to find one patch and create your own patches off of that patch, so the levels are the same.

Latest posts

Back