G FORCE SAME AS G MAJOR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After talking to the TC guy on the phone, he had me convinced that the Gmajor has a more powerful DSP and that it uses the same algorithms as the Gforce. I've played through a Gforce but have never owned one. there are things about the Gmajor that I cant stand like the pitch effects. Actually, I dont like the chorus or flange either. I do enjoy the phaser. Anyway, I didn't notice a huge change in tone when it was in bypass mode, but it did take away taht in-your-face punch. Its hard to describe. the amp still had balls, but there just wasnt that special element that I loved about the amp. I hate my Gmajor. But thats just me.

cody

I returned my gforce and picked up a gmajor. It is just easier for what i want to do. Plus, you may consider a different way of routing your system. This what I do:

MKIV wide body combo with a rectifier 2x12 vertical cab for my dry sound. For wet, di to gmajor to simul 395 to 2- 1x12 mesa theile cabs

eventually i'll pick up some sort of midi controller. I'm still investigating to see which one will work best for me.....

this way, I don't lose the punch of the dry signal and allow the gmajor to add effects.

Arrrghhh! I just deleted the pictures the other day! I wrote the info of all the chips down on that legend I made. The camera I have is useless at closeup shots as the lens doesn't focus (yep, it was cheap).

Ciao ...

We still need someone to open their G-Force and take some pictures all in the name of science ;)

Ciao ...

The G-force and G-major are from two different series of TC gear. I believe they were called US cities to tell them apart.
The G-major, M-one, Triple-C and D-two are all of the budget series.
The G-Force, Fireworx... are from the fancier series.
A look at the TC electronic homepage will tell you the converter are not the same as the specs vary a great deal. The converters of the latter are virtually the same as in their third series of effects, such as:
The M-2000, M-3000, Finalizer...

For a little trivia: the converters of the second and third series are the converters of FX-block one in the G-system, whereas the converters of the first series are found in the second effects block. That is why you have a loss of sound definition in the G-system.

www.tcelectronic.com
G-major: http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=826
G-force: http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=815

We finally published our comparative review of the G-Major vs. G-Force:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/0307_TCElectronic_G.php

I've been using the G-Major for a few years, and really expected to be blown away by the G-Force, then presumably purchase the review unit to upgrade my rack rather than sending it back.

Guess what!? Spending a few months with the G-Force made me appreciate my G-Major even more. The differences other than the harmonizer weren't compelling enough to justify making a change. Both units sound quite comparable, and the G-Major is just easier to use overall.

Scott

scottkahn said:
We finally published our comparative review of the G-Major vs. G-Force:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/0307_TCElectronic_G.php

I've been using the G-Major for a few years, and really expected to be blown away by the G-Force, then presumably purchase the review unit to upgrade my rack rather than sending it back.

Guess what!? Spending a few months with the G-Force made me appreciate my G-Major even more. The differences other than the harmonizer weren't compelling enough to justify making a change. Both units sound quite comparable, and the G-Major is just easier to use overall.

Scott
I couldn't agree with you more; they are comparable in that the same chip where all the magic is created can be found in either machine. That's what made the Major so popular; the same processing power for a third of the price. The editability and converters is another story, but if you can live with that, it's a done deal.

Yes, that's why I've always stood by the position that for standard delay, chorus, and reverb, the G-Major is the best value in the industry. You really get studio quality sound for dirt cheap. I've never heard a pro rig sound compromised by one of these in the effects loop.

The trickiest part is just getting your levels right, not just on the Input/Output settings on the effect, but also on the Send/Return levels on the amp. Once you've gotten the hang of it, these really sound nice and clean, but of course they're not great for all effects, partly due to placement in the signal chain, and partly because there are some better sounding pedal options.

scottkahn said:
and the G-Major is just easier to use overall.

Scott

I whole heartedly disagree with that assessment. I owned both units for about 4 years together.....

...I kept the G Force because, the menu screens were easier to read and more intuitive than it was on the G Major. I just did not like the display on the G Major.

I also found that the G Force truly preserved the original tone of my amp better than did the G Major.

Let's not even get into the cheap, feel and make of the G major.

Don't get me wrong the G Major does sound quite good, in fact, excellent....but the G Force's editability and routing options make it significantly better, significantly.

Unfortunately, the true test is you really have to use the units, I mean gig with them. I don't think that a short lived audition is sufficient to really reveal the full story to the user..... :shock:

Actually, I've owned G-Majors for a few years, and had the G-Force on loan for about five months -- very long by product evaluation loan standards. In that time it spent a lot of time in my rack being used in various recording and live rehearsal scenarios.

I agree that the buttons are way better on the G-Force (I even said so), and I commented on the impressive display in the G-Force, too. The flexibility of the G-Force is superior for hard-core sound design, but for the meat-and-potatoes basic stuff, the products sound nearly indistinguishable from one another.

I found no difference in my tone from one processor to the next, either, using two very different pro-level tube amplifiers.

But to disagree that the G-Major is easier to use overall is crazy. It is far simpler to operate as TC Electronic learned from the G-Force and made numerous improvements to the operational controls when they introduced the G-Major. They also deliberately simplified some of the programming options -- againt, to make it easier for people who didn't need the complexity of the G-Force.

:)

scottkahn said:
Actually, I've owned G-Majors for a few years, and had the G-Force on loan for about five months -- very long by product evaluation loan standards. In that time it spent a lot of time in my rack being used in various recording and live rehearsal scenarios.

I agree that the buttons are way better on the G-Force (I even said so), and I commented on the impressive display in the G-Force, too. The flexibility of the G-Force is superior for hard-core sound design, but for the meat-and-potatoes basic stuff, the products sound nearly indistinguishable from one another.

I found no difference in my tone from one processor to the next, either, using two very different pro-level tube amplifiers.

But to disagree that the G-Major is easier to use overall is crazy. It is far simpler to operate as TC Electronic learned from the G-Force and made numerous improvements to the operational controls when they introduced the G-Major. They also deliberately simplified some of the programming options -- againt, to make it easier for people who didn't need the complexity of the G-Force.

:)

So your saying to buy the G-System. Sounds like you can get the best of both worlds in an easier to use fashion. Rack mount the brain with your favorite pedals and just use the floor board for all your needs. But my only question is how do I use my favorite wah-pedal? Do I run my wah before the input or from the g-system>wah>amp and then run the system through the loop too?

Scott...still loving all of your reviews..thanks!

Thanks, Finnster.

Yes -- best of both worlds UNLESS you need the advanced programability of the G-Force with effects routed in any order, etc.

I'm seriously contemplating switching over to the G-System personally. We're actually going to re-visit the G-System in our studio first. The review we ran on it was one of the very first shipping units, before it had intelligent pitch shifting, expanded MIDI options, and more. It was before there was a computer-based editor for it, and supposedly reliability improved.

We're going to re-examine the unit, and I'm going to write a tutorial on advanced gear hook-ups with the G-System. I'm contemplating the same situation as you.

Basically, I'd go guitar --> wah --> G-system input, then use the preamp loop to the front of your amp, and put the other half of the G-System in the effects loop of your amp... lots to figure out, see how it sounds... Some people complain of a loss of dynamics in this scenario, so I want to explore that. Maybe I'll be content to just put the whole G-System in my loop and if I need an effect in front of my amp (like wah), I'll just have one or two other pedals.

We should have published info for our May edition, but I'll be around here to report back as I'm working with it.

I don't think traditionalists would ever be happy with a device like the G-System, but for fans of modern effected tone, who still care about the quality of their tube tone, this is one pretty good solution.

Scott

Latest posts

Back