FX loop levels - weird

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckerbomb

Reaction score
I really like having a footswitchable fx loop, so I can have a chorus and an OD pedal for solos. But I cannot get the levels to work. When the knob is centered, the signal is very quiet when the loop is engaged. so, I crank up the knob, which also brings up the volume of the un-looped signal. And, with the knob turned up, the signal gets too hot instead of louder!

Perhaps the fx loop is better suited towards rack gear?

Any hints out there?

Thanks!

I dont have a mark V so I don't know if that is normal or not, but if you find out it is normal you could run a clean boost last in your line of effects in the loop and adjust it so you end up with unity gain with your effects loop.

I'm typically not the biggest proponent of using an OD in the loop; they are best suited for boosting the front of the amp. You may consider trying an outboard graphic EQ in place of the OD: You could use this to boost the signal and the midrange for solos. It won't be so hot in the loop.

Any FX unit that you use in a loop should have volume and tone controls...or else put it in front. Thats why Multi FX units are best or more suitable for loops.

Rampage said:
I'm typically not the biggest proponent of using an OD in the loop; they are best suited for boosting the front of the amp. You may consider trying an outboard graphic EQ in place of the OD: You could use this to boost the signal and the midrange for solos. It won't be so hot in the loop.

I missed the part about the OD in the loop, not a popular choice. Also if all the pedals you put in a loop are 'true bypass' types, you might consider adding a standalone buffer in the loop or a pedal that has a built in buffer like a Boss or something. The buffer will help to raise the signal back up from long cable runs. Speaking of cables, try a couple of different cables. I had a cable that I was using in the loop of my Mark III that passed signal, but brought my level down. I replaced that cable and all was well.

Rampage said:

Rampage! What's up, man? Long time no see on here! I agree.... OD in the loop does not sound like a good idea to me. Just use the SOLO switch on the footswitch to boost your signal for leads?

MusicManJP6 said:
Rampage said:

Rampage! What's up, man? Long time no see on here! I agree.... OD in the loop does not sound like a good idea to me. Just use the SOLO switch on the footswitch to boost your signal for leads?

How's it going dude? Yeah, haven't been on in quite a while, but decided to start posting again since I acquired yet another MKIV (this is three or four? :lol: ).

I see you grabbed a MKV, nice! How do you like it?

Latest posts

Back