Funk Rhythm

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitapik

Reaction score
Hey. I've got a stock Mark IIB. One of my favorite settings for a clean funk rhythm (esp with a Strat or Tele) is a heavily scooped 5 band eq.

Lately I've been really into using that EQ for the lead gain sounds...and I'm having a hard time finding that flat funk sound that I love, using the dials.

Anybody got some tips on a cool setting?

I like the treble high and the presence in the middle range. Midrange and bass low or off. A lot of controlling the sound comes from the pickup selector and volume control on the guitar. I set the gain so it is on the edge of break up and the master as loud as I can get and still be in balance with the rest of the band.

Mark I up to Mark IIB has so much headroom, great for funk.

Add a compressor among your pedals or / and stomp boxes. You'll get Nile Rodger tone.

RR said:
Mark I up to Mark IIB has so much headroom, great for funk.

Add a compressor among your pedals or / and stomp boxes. You'll get Nile Rodger tone.

Yeah...I love this amp for funk. I've got a nice CS-3, modded by Mark Humphrey. It's a great pedal...I use it for the single note funk rhythm lines (along with other styles, of course). But for the strumming stuff, I tend to just go with that scooped 5 band. I'm so into that option on the amp. It's a great EQ.

btw: I love this Mark IIB. I've had it for so long and I can still pull new tones out of it.

Back