Fulltone OCD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't purchased one yet because my Mark IV gives me enough drive but when I was using Marshall 800's I was seriously considering buying one as I love the sound of this Overdrive a lot. It's well worth checking out.

well, related to your question, i got a Fulltone FatBoost III, and really like it.

it takes my best sounds, whether rhythm setup or lead setup, and doesn't change anything about the tone, but just makes it HOTTER.
like, not crispy, or bass boosted, but more sensitive and more gain, without any hair.
weird, but i just call it my MORE pedal.
and this pedal, if you just max it out, can give DRIVE and GAIN, but i use it for boost, with the drive down a bit.

just another thing to consider

tested one out and liked it a lot, but not loved it. I thought it was pretty transparent and did a good job of not coloring the tone too much, but it did seem to ever so slightly thin out the tone, and even on it's lowest setting, it was more overdrive than a clean boost type of deal. So it's versatile for a heavy player but maybe not so much for someone that uses the spectrum from clean to high gain. A lot of people love them though so worth checking out.

jab-

that's EXACTLY why i went with the FATBOOST III

with the tone controls, you can dial it in exactly.
use it as a treble booster, or a bass booster, or flat.

you just find the sweet spot, dial in the treble and bass controls, and leave it.

I too have been considering one of these. However, I am not sure what the main difference is between the versions. (version 1-4)
Also, I hear a lot of people talking about the maxon OD 808 - this may be dumb question, but are you guys referring to the maxon OD 808 reissue or original?
I have been looking to go with the best sounding OD pedal and not just the highest priced one lol.
Maybe I am on the wrong track entirely and there are better ones out there..so please enlighten me! thanks. I do play a Stiletto and for the longest time I used fluid drive and that was enough. Now I am working on boosting the tite gain/crunch.

Reference the OCD versions...

The change from version 1 to version 2 is soundwise rather small. The Volume-control is slightly smoother, but the overall sound is affected very little. The high end is slightly softer and the bass maybe a little bit weaker, but all in all a very subtle change.

Moving on the next version the differences in sound are significantly larger. The amount of distortion and volume is increased, the mids strongly boosted and a slight touch of compression is noticeable, whereas the shiny high end is reduced. The structure of the distortion is slightly smoother and rounder, not quite as gnarly and gritty as in the previous versions. The differences are not radical here either, but definitely very noticeable.

Version 4 is again not a dramatic but very noticeable change. The asymmetric clipping creates stronger harmonic content and makes the sound rounder and smoother. Compared to the v3, the v4 has now a higher clipping threshold resulting in a larger voltage swing before clipping occurs - the overall amount of distortion is thus slightly less giving a more transparent sound than the v3.

http://www.pedalarea.com/ocd.htm

I've had a V3 and a V4. I found the V3 was too bassy and I sold it. I bought the V4 and have been using it since. I use it primarily as a rhythm OD with the level up and the dirt zero'd. I find it gives a bit more edge when I need it. It's also great for leads if you like a more open, less compressed sound than a Fulldrive/Tubescreamer type OD would give.

Reviewing these things is so hard to put into words.

My list of OD, distortions....

OCD ver 4
Keeley DS-1
Old TS-9 modded to 808 specs (really easy to do, I don't know why people continue paying out the ying-yang for "real" 808's.)
Jekyll & Hyde ver 2 (really underrated pedal, IMO)
Emma ReezaFratzitz.
Various fuzz boxes.

I repeatedly come back to the OCD sooner or later. It sounds great by itself, or to add drive to some of the others. I don't know what it is, there's just something about the way it brings out harmonics that I really like.

For the record, if you need an OD to tighten up an already saturated amp (Rec or whatever) I think the typical tubescreamer does it better. (TS-9, 808, etc..) I find the OCD to be much more versatile, though.

I've heard great things about the Danelectro Transparent overdrive, but I've yet to try one. For the price, it might be worth checking out.

It's also interesting to note that the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive is a replica of the OCD only with cheaper components.

Chris McKinley said:
It's also interesting to note that the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive is a replica of the OCD only with cheaper components.
I have one of those. It doesnt sound bad but its noisy as hell. My buddy has an OCD and we abd it. Really not the same sounding to me. The OCD was a head and shoulders above the Drive pedal. But for the price its worth picking up.

The Dano Transparent overdrive was extremely close to my Timmy I just sold.

droptrd said:
Chris McKinley said:
I have one of those. It doesnt sound bad but its noisy as hell. My buddy has an OCD and we abd it. Really not the same sounding to me. The OCD was a head and shoulders above the Drive pedal. But for the price its worth picking up.

The Dano Transparent overdrive was extremely close to my Timmy I just sold.

I too have the CC Drive but don't find it noisy at all. Works well for me for mid gain classic rock stuff but my CC Transparent OD is really one of my favorite dirt pedals I've owned for low gain. I feel a little funny sometimes having them on my board but hell, they work well. Case, switch and knobs are kind of odd though. For the price I just had to try them. They are both version 1.

I have a version 1 OCD and I really like it. It is the most transparent OD that I have tried so far. My friend has a version 4 and I thought that mine sounded more natural at lower settings than his. Full on I thought the version 4 was a little thicker. The trick is to push the volume up as high as you can and keep the gain as low as possible if you want it to be as transparent as possible. It's more like a boost that way but I like it.

Latest posts

Back