Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet vs Xotic AC Plus-Need Opinions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
I have both the AC Plus and Full-Drive 2. While I like each unit I don't want to keep both. The OCD was my first OD, then tried the TS-9 but didn't need the mid hump everyone talks about. That's what brought me to the Full-Drive. I had no reason to need the AC Plus other than I may be a little obsessive in the OD pedal dept.

I would really appreciate opinions from those who have or have tried both AC Plus and Full-Drive pedals. In the short time I've own the pedals this is what I've deducted for myself:

Full-Drive 2 Mosfet:

Pros - Very rugged design, nice tone, transparent, all the drive I need, 2nd boost switch nice for creamier gain, one button bypass with both sides engaged.

Cons - 2nd boost switch doesn't increase volume enough by its self.

AC Plus:

Pros - Nice tone, transparent, extra drive just in case, a lot of options for a pedal, like 2 pedals in one, having both buttons on can give a nice volume boost for solos.

Cons - Not as rugged as Full-Drive, if both A & B sides are on it takes two stomps to bypass.

Truth be told I wish I never heard of the AC Plus because I'm weak and had to try it. Please don't suggest any other pedals because I want the madness to end with one of these. Upside is I bought it new for a very good price. $172.50 shipped.

Gear used:

Stiletto Ace, DC-5
PRS Custom 24, Dean USA Hardtail, Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Rocktron Xpressions, Ernie Ball Volume, George Dennis Wah, Rocktron Banshee.
I'm using a T.C. Jauernig Luxury Drive for a great clean boost placed in front of my OD.

Your in pretty difficult situation...... I'm a big fan of the Fulldrive and Xotic pedals aswell. I have owned almost every type of Fulldrive produced. I currently own the latest Fulldrive2 MOSFET (blue color) and a regular Fulldrive2 from 20001. The newer MOSFET unit has more treble in the tone pot rotation and the added MOSFET option adds that little bit of extra crunch and mids that allow you to cut through. However, the older unit i have has a sweeter overall drive tone to my ears. Its smoother and the tone pot is more subtle, which I prefer. I have tried the AC Plus and it is an amazing pedal. Very transparent and i prefer using the volume on my guitar with the AC as compared to the fulldrives. Both units derive from a tube screamer type circuit with their own individual features so this is a hard choice. That being said I would probably go with the Fulldrive. Its just a classic tone that you can't get out of using. Afterall, it is one of the top effects of all time for a reason!!!!! :wink:

Back