Full Retube with JJ's from eurotubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Red and Guys,
I absolutely agree with your observations regarding RK + JJ's tubes = vintage Vox AC 30 sound :D (with 6L6)
I was so lucky to own AC 30 made in 1964 as well , amazing amplifier .
Unfortunately I was in trouble and Vox was sold out in 2005 (stupid me ! :oops: ) .
But I still can remember that specific sound and tone coming from vintage Vox -finding almost the same feeling in sound with JJ's 6L6 in my Mesa RK II combo. OK ,not exactly -but very,very close. More , RK II give me a little bit " wider " and bigger tone than original Vox (probably because of speakers and more power, who knows..)
With original Mesa tubes it wasn't a case .
Cheers,
BH

Hey Big Harry....I'm glad to hear I wasn't listening through rose-colored glasses (ears)...nice to know someone else has shared my observation.

RB

I used a JJ ecc83 ("standard" 12ax7) in v2 of my Ace to tame the high shrillness many complain about in this amp. It works well for this.

Lately, I have been using one of my Amperex Bugle Boy ax7's in v2 as this also smooths things out without loss of highs (what do you expect? most of the old NOS tubes are just amazing).

I did not care for the JJ's in all preamp positions, however. Cut too much high end.
I have tried their el34's and thought they sounded good (better than stock STR 447's, but what doesn't?).
I did have reliability issues with the jj 34's however.

I recently tried GT el34M...here's quote from my other post on them:
I did treat myself to a new pair of GT el34M. You guys gotta check these out!
This is the Chinese (shaguan?...) Mullard reissue that Groove tube has made for them.
I am really impressed. I have tried the Russian (new sensor) Mullard reissue, and they sounded quite good, but these are better.

In a word, clarity.

Everything you like in a el34 tube, just more of it.
More harmonics, more low end (Way more). more lively. They are a fairly balanced sound; that is, they do not sound "scooped".

No harshness anywhere.

BTW I got 5 rating on these and the idle current came in about 40 ma. Right where Mesa specs it.

I like these better than New Sensor "Mullards", JJ, Mesa or EH....so far.
They were only $5/pair more than NS Mullards.
You may want to check 'em out.
:D :D

Back