frustrated again with rhythm 2!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg121

Reaction score
whats up guys?ive posted before about my frustration with my rhy2 channel on my mesa mark 4.i just want a very focused tight ac/dc type crunch...but i wind up with something kind of muddy.could i use a dist pedal to help me acheive this?i love my clean and high gain channel.also would changing the el34s to 6l6s help this?thanks for any input.

Considering the early JTM heads had 6L6s in them you might want to try the 6L6s. Angus plays old JTMs.

I get a nice bite on R2 with an overdrive with a slight volume boost and not much gain. It tights it up a bit and adds some sizzle. The more transparent the better.. tubescreamer isn't a good choice for example.

R2 is throwing me for a loop right now too trying to balance it with R1.. What are your power/tube settings right now?

well i changed the el34s to 6l6s and it seemed to add some good bite.i am just running triode and class a.could you give me some examples of an overdrive pedal to tighten things up?thanks

I'm very green on the Mark IV too so the only one I've auditioned was the OCD which I like very much since it's sort of a marshally drive sound anyway. R2 takes fuzzes really well too if you're so inclined.

ok ...cool.so if i tried the ocd,should i run it in the loop or in front?

billyg121 said:
ok ...cool.so if i tried the ocd,should i run it in the loop or in front?

Run it in front.

There was a thread a few days ago about boosting a markIV for leads. Check out what other people are using too

Boost in front or volume in the loop depending upon what you are looking for.

jp uses a boss bluesdriver (dark blue) for a boost as of lately

basically run it before the amp
but dont give it too much gain
just give it volume
you dont want to run a distorted signal into your amp
just a louder signal

I didn't see whether yours was a A or B MKIV. If it is a B, try these settings: Rhyth2-10 Pulled out. Trb-7, Mid-4, Bass-4, Prescence-5 pulled out. EQ-classic V setting. Give it a shot and let us know. BTW i use a BB-Preamp when using 6l6's or EL34's. I'm currently running 6v6's and don't usually need the boost, especially when cranked.... :mrgreen:

In my experience, and it's based on a Mark IVa, you'll do well to go pentode, full-power, and possibly even simul-class, with pentode being the most important factor. I've had good luck with both EL-34s and 6L6s. From there, I like:

R2 Gain: 7-10 pulled (or less depending on master volume level)
Bass: 2-3 (turn it up until right before you hear low notes flubbing out)
Mid: 10
R2 Treble: 7
R2 Presence: 0 pulled
EQ: Top line, 1/2 between top and middle lines, middle, middle, middle

I roll my Les Paul's volume back to 8-9 and crank up the master as far as possible. Adjust the graphic EQ to suit your cabinet.

Personally, I've found that the Mark IV has a very different vibe than a Plexi style amp, and I've never gotten mine anywhere close to my Marshall, but you can get a great Mark IV rhythm sound with a lot of punch by going pentode, full-power, and simul-class. In fact, one of the reasons I love my Mark IV is that it doesn't sound just like a Marshall (although I love those too).

torquey said:
Personally, I've found that the Mark IV has a very different vibe than a Plexi style amp, and I've never gotten mine anywhere close to my Marshall, but you can get a great Mark IV rhythm sound with a lot of punch by going pentode, full-power, and simul-class. In fact, one of the reasons I love my Mark IV is that it doesn't sound just like a Marshall (although I love those too).

+1

Latest posts

Back