From Metal to Straight Rock - I found my tone!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasFM3

Reaction score
So I wanted to share my MESA experience and it might sound silly, but I had never used my Dual Rec for anything other than metal. In doing this I knew my metal was brutal and nothing could touch it... but when I would play clean it always sounded a bit stale. I racked it up to the fact that the REC was a metal head and that it could not be beautiful; should not be beautiful.

So now that I am much older and playing in metal bands had its purpose and I feel that I was there and did that. I can notch it on my belt and move on. I started losing the want to play fast. I felt that I had reached an end to just that one sided guitar playing. I wanted to grow as a soloist and put expression in my solos, you know have a little feeling to my playing. I know this sounds lame, but it is so hard to do when 4 other guys in the band are pushing you to play faster and harder and bolder. It just started getting old. So I moved on. I then was forced to dink around with my Dual Rec. Something I had never really done. When I got it way back in the day, I of course like many had to save for a long time to do so. Then when I got it, I set it for metal channel 3 and viola drove the beast from there on. Now I wanted to really learn what this thing which had 3 channels could actually do. What all the front and back setting did. In learning, I found the most beautiful clean tone. All the years of playing shred your face music I simply never knew.

Needless to say, in order for me to get more brute from the REC I used the silicon diodes setting and the Bold Setting on the back of my amp. To begin to get some tone in the clean and hear some beautiful clean out my REC, I set it to the Spongy and Rectifier setting. This might seem like simplistically mundane information to those that have mastered the tone from these Beasts, but me moving on to a music that is more subtle and calls for great clean and mid dirty and High gain dirty was like my eyes being opened for the first time. These two settings opened the REC tone up. I was amazed at how creamy the cleans could be. How when holding a note on my Les Paul how it just sounded so nice.

I have learned that this is not ONLY a metal music head, people. It can be gentle and forgiving at least until it is no longer time to be gentle and forgiving. Trust that I still shred the face off solos when I get the chance, except now it is not about playing the fastest you can, but expression as well. The bends are creamy. Sure I use a Boss RV-3 and CH-1 in front of the amp, but with the Rectifier tube actually engaged now, at times I feel it is really not that important.

I just wanted to share... MESA - I FOUND MY TONE - THANKS

TexasFM3

great thoughts! isn't experiencing the musical journey and passages that we all go through worthwhile? guess it all comes with "age".

Yes there are other musics out there but going on stage with a MESA and doing metal for a venue filled with screaming fans is a religious experience.

stay brutal

Back