• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Frank Zappa's personal Amp--$7500

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to call bs or anything, but I can't image Dweezil would have sold his dad's touring amp

Brad Whitfords C+ sold for a little of 3000, now 7500 for Frank Zappa's 50 Cal seems way out there.
I don't really think it matters who owned it before. I mean if it was Jimi Hendrix's Strat he burned or something more
visually recognized like that I could understand. But an amp sitting in the backline doesn't mean sht to me to pay that kind of price.
That said there may be some Zappa fanboy that has to have it no matter what. To each his own I guess.

I agree, its nothing special really, its not like ths is slashs amp that he used to record AFD or this is Hendrix's amp from his last gig, its just...an amp!

I agree the C+ was very reasonable considering what that amp was. Regardless of who's amp that was it was a very fair price for that amp.
I expected it to go higher.
As far as FZ. I have been a fan since the early 80's. Saw him in concert a few times as well and they were some of the best shows I have seen.
Great musicians, all of them. Top notch.

gts said:
You down playing or dare one say slamming FZ?!
Implying Slash is more special than FZ? Really?!
FZ was more a guitar player, never mind musician and composer, than Slash will ever be.
Some of you fan boys are whacked....
Let the flames begin....

IMHO that amp is way overpriced. But if someone is into collecting FZ memorabilia, as DaveP says, it could be worth it to one of them.

Fwiw I don't think the person that bought Brad Whitfords IIC+ was into collecting Aerosmith memorabilia. He or she paid what they paid because the amp was what it was and worth every penny of the final bid. Some may even say the winner got a deal!

+1
Zappa's genius was immeasurable. That amp seems to be priced for a very narrow market; one which consists of people who are both rabid Zappa fans and who have a lot of disposable income.

Wait a second... Slash (or his relative importance in the realm of guitar playing/music) was just compared to both Zappa AND Hendrix! :shock:

When Satriani said that he really didn't judge his musical career based on awards from Rolling Stone readers polls because most people reading it us it to get fashion guidance.... that pretty much sums up my feelings on 'popularity contests' within the music industry. Not that Slash is not a serious guitarist with a significant contribution to radio rock, it is just that Axel is such a total douch that I can't listen to GNR. Who does Axel think he is anyway, Bo Derek, with those corn rows????

Wait a second... Slash (or his relative importance in the realm of guitar playing/music) was just compared to both Zappa AND Hendrix

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Slash- great player, been true to his music for years, BUT, seriously???? With Zappa? Hendrix??

Zappa isnt for everyone- but he is still ahead of his time even after death...

gts said:
FZ was more a guitar player, never mind musician and composer, than Slash will ever be.
Let the flames begin....
:lol: look what you started! I aint biting! :lol:

All I meant was that other than being played by the big man it doesnt have a historical reference that you can relate to, like the piano Lennon wrote Imagine on was worth a fortune, but I bet he played hundreds in his time and they wouldnt be anything other than interesting, wouldnt increase the value of the item, not to me anyways.

slash ftw

That listing is ridiculous. I would, however, pay that much for Zappa's talent 8)

On the topic of inflated collector's pieces, here's the 2nd Marshall amp ever built: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220604793162

gts said:
------------------
Dave, I saw FZ play live too. Once when Adrian Belew was in the band. Crazy *** sh!t.
Zappa's humor is, dare it be said, 'sarcastic'! :lol:
The thing that blows me away about FZ is almost everything that was played on his albums was scored. The guy wrote it all out!
But so much of it sounds so natural at times you'd think he (and the band) was/ were improvising. And he did improvise quite well too!

Now back to out regularly scheduled program.....

I saw FZ back in NY when Vai first toured with him. It was awe inspiring. Frank often stood in front of the band with a conductors baton and directed every nuance of the score. Then he turned around and ripped some of the most melodic phrasing (with attitude) I have ever heard. The man was a musical genius in every sense of the word and still kept it real!

who would pay $368,000 USD :shock: for the second marshall ever made, when you could have FZ's 50 cal for a small cost of 7,000 USD :lol:

$7500.00 ???

"..watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow"
-frank z.

Some people have money to throw where ever they like! (****! I wish I was one of them!) :roll:
Frank's cousin, Marty, was a personal friend of mine, (may he also RIP :cry: ) and he didn't even want it!
Of course he was not a musician, either, but that's beside the point! :lol:

killerburst said:
gts said:
Let the flames begin....

IMHO that amp is way overpriced. But if someone is into collecting FZ memorabilia, as DaveP says, it could be worth it to one of them.

Fwiw I don't think the person that bought Brad Whitfords IIC+ was into collecting Aerosmith memorabilia. He or she paid what they paid because the amp was what it was and worth every penny of the final bid. Some may even say the winner got a deal!

+1
Zappa's genius was immeasurable. That amp seems to be priced for a very narrow market; one which consists of people who are both rabid Zappa fans and who have a lot of disposable income.

Wait a second... Slash (or his relative importance in the realm of guitar playing/music) was just compared to both Zappa AND Hendrix! :shock:

BIG +1

Comparing Slash (and I like his playing) to Zappa is like comparing a swamp rat to an astronaut.

Latest posts

Back