Four 6L6s in a Green stripe MK III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmeredith

Reaction score
New here, great site.

Four 6L6s in a Green stripe MK III?

What is the ultimate consensus.

First Mesa says you can, then you shouldn't, and now some people are saying it's ok.

Is there a final knowledgeable consensus on this

I've got a green stripe MKIII 1989. If I use a couple of current production MESA 6L6s in the outer sockets will the tubes blow and damage the amp?

I'm currently running (6L6s & EL 34s) sovtecks that came with the amp.
According to the current wisdom here these are probably not the best operating or tonal choice for the amp anyway. They seem to work ok so far.

I have quite a lot (8-10, Some new) of old Fender 6L6s from a previous amp. Should I sell these off on eBay and restock with Mesa or something compatible from the outlets mentioned in some of the posts here?

Any suggestions, I lean toward warm sounds with a very smooth top end.

Thanks for any help

Your MArak 3 is simulclass or no ? If it is SimulClass, then you should be careful about running 6l6's in the outer sockets. They could possibly be drawing too much juice.

If you happen to be looking for a alternative to a El34 because you are looking for more bottom, consider the JJ KT77's. They are something like a cross between an El34 and 6l6 but normally draw the same current as a El34.

I've been running 4 6L6's in my simul MK III's for years now. No problems yet. I'm running the old Mesa STR 415's. As long as you use the correct tubes in the inner and outer sockest you won't have any problems. By this I mean the tubes must draw the correct amount of current. Then the pre set bias will work correctly. If you use new Mesa tubes the correct color codes would be gray for the inside sockets and red for the outer sockets. I got this info from Mike B. at Mesa.

I like the slice from EL34's better for higher gain setting, but I miss the superior cleans from a quad of 6L6's. For high gain with 6L6's. i think there is too much sizzle.

Well we all hear things differently. I've been using 4 6L6's because it sounds fatter to me than mixing EL's and 6L's. I don't hear more sizzle with a quad of 6L's. In fact I hear more sizzle when using EL34's in the outer sockets. Perhaps a quad of current productions 6L6's could produce more sizzle. I can't say because I'm still using old USA tubes.

Although I don't mind the EL34s I like a bit more bottom end and more headroom. I'm using a home made extension box with my combo.
I had the box made to the same measurements as the Mesa box and put a spare 200w EV 12L in it. The only variation is that I had the box made with a part open back but had the cutout pieces made so I could reseal the box and make it closed back.

I currently use the extension fully sealed.

I seem to run out of clean power at moderate volumes. If I play a complex chord with a lot of close interval notes I like it to be pristine. I'm currently playing with a Blues/Funk/Fusion band and don't use a very high gain distortion.

I used to have a Stratergy 400 and a Quad preamp plus a Korg A3 for Fx.
I used 2 of the home made EV12L boxes mentioned before.

Glorious clean stereo sounds!! But no poweramp distortion; so I sold the Strat 400 and kept the rest. Couldn't get reliable tubes at the time and it was costing too much to retube. It was also to heavy for small gigs.

I would like to get something like a 50/50 and use the rack for bigger venues.

Why bother posting? Because the original question was about using 4 6L6's in a MK III. That's what I've been using for quite some time. The fact that I'm using the old STR's doesn't automatically eliminate my opinion. Maybe bobmeridith wants to use those tubes too. Who knows. They can still be found.
Why do you feel it necessary to challenge the relevancy of peoples posts here? This isn't the first time I've seen you do it. As far as I can tell you have no official position here. Your not a moderator, or the relevancy sheriff. Your just a registered user like most of us. This is just a messageboard it aint real life and the goings are here a not terribly important. So why not relax and play nice with the other kids in the sandbox.

I'm not going to engage anyone in a flame fest. I would not consider my post a personal attack. I'm sorry you took it that way. Your response speaks for itself. I suggest we both move on.

It's not nice to call someone a "Goon" I used to call my little cousin Danielle a goon because she looked like one and turns out she didn't think it was funny.

As far as running 4 6l6's goes, the amp can certainly do it. But using a hot set in the outer sockets is an obvious no-no. Mesa warns about this configuration for that very reason. Namely that some guys might buy a hot quad of 6l6's and run the outer sockets/tubes too hard

However, if you get the right grade of 6l6 and dig the tone, then it's fine.One other opinion that i have is that the mark 3 has a pretty forgiving low end so you can get away with using 4 6l6's if you want to without risking the tubbed out low end like you can get in a Recto.

It's ok to call Spike Milligan or Peter Sellers a goon.

Who knows I might already have Phillips Tubes. Who made the old USA Fender tubes before they went Russian or Chinese.

Sylvania?

Play nicely now

And thanks for all the info!

I think Philips bought Sylvania's ECG operation in the early 80's.

Doesn't look to me like any personal attack occurred until the very post where that phrase was used.

I don't understand how somebody can have a problem with boogiebabies, this guy is the **** he know everything about mesa and help us immensely, he is very kind with all of us.
So don't be upset boogiebabies I am shure that I am not the only one who really appreciate you.
Your Irish cousin :wink:

Boogiebabies said:
Your just saying that because we are related. :D

I just wanted to crack a joke at that last reply as it was dragged back from May.

I have no problem with anyone.
Yeah I know, but sometimes my Irish blood boil absolutely for nothing.
:oops:

Back