For those of you who have switched to non-Mesa tubes...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just popping JJs in there (ALL tubes) made a noticable difference for the better. A little more than "subtle" but definitely not slap you in the face.

Summed up though...well worth doing.

Why would they make such great amps (IMHO), then ruin the tone by selling crappy bottom-of-the-barrel tubes for them? Does that make any sense?

Anyway I swapped out the 6L6s from my single rec and put in Boogie EL34s and I like the sound...

Oyster,

I don't think it makes much sense for Mesa to sell crappy tubes. I've had a limited sample so I couldn't say that they do sell crappy tubes - but 5 of the last 6 EL34's were not useable. Maybe a bad day at quality control? I don't know. It is worth keeping in mind that Mesa wwaaayyy over-charges for the tubes that they make you buy.

After playing phone tag, customer service is sending replacement tubes, and seems very professional and supportive. I requested new 6L6's instead of the EL34's since I've gotten so many bad ones.

I'll report when the new tubes get here.

By the way Oyster - are you using those EL34's in a head or a combo. Combo's tend to make the tubes rattle.

Back