For the love of Mesa...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endless_mike03

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I am a proud Mesa owner (I have a Roadster 2x12) for a little over a year, but just recently discovered this site! I figured this would be the best place to sing Mesa's praises and share tips and advice with other proud owners. Having played guitar for 14 years and desiring a Mesa amp for the majority of those years, I was ecstatic when the day came that I could finally afford one of these fine amps. Mesa Boogie, in my humble opinion, makes the absolute best amps money can buy. I would choose my Roadster over any other amp out there, including Engls, Bogners, Diezels... you name it. I fall in love with my amp EVERY time I play through it. Sorry for such a lame first post, but I just had to spread the Mesa love!

+1 I love my Roadster too, although admittedly it has been a volatile, love/hate relationship. I was strongly considering getting a Mark V, but totally couldn't do it. While I sometimes feel that the Roadster is a bit on the boomy side, I cannot live without having access to the Recto chunk. Plus, honestly I felt like the Mark V was a bit thin sounding.

Anyways, welcome to the club.

when I bought my mesa.....it was pure chance. I have been playing for 13 years or so, and finally decided that it was time to step up to a good, good amp. Im not made of money.....but the time was right and I was able to budget a max of about 2200 for an amp at the time I bought my rectifier. When I went amp shopping, I wasnt really sure what I wanted. I tried just about everything, and one of the ones I really wanted was one of the VHT pittbull heads.....but the price was a little too steep for the one that fit the bill completely. I "almost" ended up with a marshall JVM head. Actually, as the salesman was checking the numbers and seeing what kind of deal he could swing on the JVM(which i was ready to buy at full price), I spotted the mesa. I was in the middle of buying the marshall.....but had actually never played a mesa before so figured Id try it.

Well, I plugged in and was instantly blown away. I had never played through an amp that had such powerful distortion. And its not just the distortion. I have played through plenty that have a comparable amount of gain.....but the actual delivery of that gain is just above and beyond with a mesa. Its so "thick" for lack of a better description. Seriously within 10 seconds I changed my mind on the marshall, and havent gone back since. Not that I have anything bad to say about a good marshall head....but it just doesnt have that same kinda push. Dont consider your post cheesy cause its safe to say that we all feel the same way.

I remember the first time I heard Mesa amps. I was playing at my second show ever after I had just started learning guitar. The closing band both had Duals and I remember they sounded so full and chunky, completely blew our crap rigs away. (Peavey Bandit 112) I recall the guitarist from another band I had been following also got a dual and it was the same experience. Each time I heard one, it was the perfect tone.
When I started shopping for an amp, one guitar salesman swore that MESA completely owned marshall. He had me play a subway rocket which sounded awesome, but I wanted a halfstack. So I put a deposit down for a Nomad 55 head and waited freaking months for the thing. I bought a mini marshall 4x12 from them and still no amp. Well, I was getting my Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickup installed at the guitar tech's place and I noticed he had some used amps on consignment so I tried them. (The pickup swap was probably a bad idea after I decided on an amp) He had a nomad 100 and a Dual Rectifier. I plugged into the Dual and it absolutely slaughtered the Nomad. Since I was planning on financing, I had no extra cash on hand to pay for an amp outright so my dad cosigned for a student line of credit. I went to the music store, haggled to get my Nomad 55 deposit back, and then I went and picked up the dual!
I emailed Mesa later, and they actually mailed me an instruction manual for my USED HEAD!! =-o So that really started my search for tone. I think when I bought it, I didn't realize how many cabs, tubes, and guitars I'd go through to try and tweak everything until it was just so. At any rate, I like the huge chug so much that I really can't ever find another amp, even for low volume applications. I like the crunch so much that I went as far as to use yellow jackets and a thiele 2 x 12 so I can use my gear at lower than bar volumes!

List of cabs
Tested:
Marshall 1960a
Marshall 1960vintage
Fender 4 x 12
Marshall 1960ax
Peavey 4 x 12
Dr Z Z best Cab
Mesa Traditional Rectocab (stiletto)
Mesa Standard Rectocab

Rented:
Marshall 1960a
Marshall 1960ax (My personal favourite marshall)

Owned:
Peavey 1 x 12 (With a Celestion)
Marshall 1960b JCM800
Marshall 140watt Valvestate (Mini Marshall)
Standard Rectocab (with Side Armour)
Homemade Electrovoice design Thiele 2 x 12 with a G12m Heritage and Hellatone 60L V30

In the works.
Second 2 x 12 with G12m Greenback Reissue and v30. Companion for the first 2 x 12.

When all was said and done, I discovered that I simply do not like Celestion G12T - 75s. While I thought I hated marshalls at first, I discovered that it was largely a dislike due to the speakers in the 1960a cabs as well as my guitar. The Godin LG simply is too dirty of a guitar which didn't like a Marshall at all, yielding a combination of mud and scratch. The Mesas, by comparison, just got along with my guitar better. (Incidentally, my Godin sounds absolutely amazing with a Red Bear amp but the Gibson just doesn't get a long at all) Once I got my Les Paul, my opinions on Marshalls changed a lot. I'd LOVE to run one through my rectocab but I think perhaps I'd be better off to buy some proper EL-34s for my dual. I know it isn't the same thing, but I'm sure I'll like it fine.

There are only a few amps that work well with the G12T-75s IMO. Some of them are most Marshalls, the Electradyne, and I was told the Herbert sounds good with them as well. Have yet to try my Mesa Stiletto Deuce II head with a cab with those speakers. Should be interesting...

Welcome! I own a Roadster head and it is fantastic, def my favorite of the amps I have owned.

KH Guitar Freak said:
There are only a few amps that work well with the G12T-75s IMO. Some of them are most Marshalls, the Electradyne, and I was told the Herbert sounds good with them as well. Have yet to try my Mesa Stiletto Deuce II head with a cab with those speakers. Should be interesting...

Scratchy speakers are SCRAAATCHY! I guess you have to have the correct guitar, pup, amp, cab combination to get a good tone. Personally, I'd much rather a G12H v30 combo or a G12m v30 combo. Those are really my Celestions of choice!
My brother swapped out the Black Shadow MC90 (Celestion Classic Lead) for a G12H Heritage and he swears it really improved the amp for the better. He said it is now way less muddy at low volumes and way warmer. Much more 'vintage'.

Yup, I prefer V30s and G12H30s as well. However, sometimes they don't work too well with a few amps out there. An example would be the Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 through V30 speakers. No thanks. But it sounded great through cabs with Greenbacks or Heritages...

welcome proud mesa owner!! i got my dual recto roadster combo about 2 yrs ago now, after suffering for 3 yrs with a peavey bandit 112, gathering the 2k cash and one sore back after carrying the beast; turn it on and i was amazed (and still amazed) at what this amp can do!! i mean it makes the floor freaking shake! not even my bass amp can do that! hahaha :mrgreen: so yeah, good choice :wink:

Couldn't agree with you guys more, I've had my Dual Rec for 5 years and every time I plug in and play through it I get a huge smile on my face. Best investment I have ever made...period! Really glad I didn't buy that Marshall TSL I was looking at LOL.

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Saw a couple of you guys had Peavey Bandit 112's before switching to Mesa's. I gigged and practiced with that amp for years. Bought it back in college, thinking I'd never be able to get any of the Rectifier series amps. I still have it laying around here, but it's out of commission. It finally died about 2 months before I got my Roadster. Being ampless for two months sucks!

20 years of marshall use ,i thought there was no better ..... until my new roadster came along last fall,ive since sold my 2 marshall heads zw 2203 and kk2203 and use the mesa for everything and the other great thing is i only use a 2x12 cab with it and it still performs better !!!!!i hope to some day get another one and run stereo!!! can u imagine how bad *** that would sound!!!!

i still wait to witness the power of a mesa stereo rig.... anyone wanna share their experience with it? im considering turn my mono rig into stereo hehehe

Back