for Ace combo owners only!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
this is kind of a reposting of another question i put up here a few days ago. i didn't really get any solid answers so i'm trying again with a different approach, so....

i'm hoping that some of you fellow Ace owners could do me a favor and tell me if yours does what mine does, which is:

when i take it out of standby after letting it warm up, i get this weird humming noise. the only thing i can liken it to is the sound of electrical current like you hear coming from an electrical utility box. just a low frequency hum. it's very low volume. slightly quieter than the fan actually, but it's there. i wouldn't question it if my Lonestar Special did it too, but it doesn't. i hear this hum whether the volume is on zero, or ten. it doesn't matter, nor does it get any louder when i turn up. for the record, my house power is CLEAN and i use quality cables, not that that matters as the hum is there without ANYTHING plugged into the amp. put it back on standby and the hum is gone.

i called Mesa and talked to Marcus and he said it sounded like the transformer might be damaged. then he flip-flopped and said it could be nothing. the uncertainty lives on. any info would be appreciated here because if the tranny is damaged i want to return it before it's too late.

Repost this in the "Modern Amps" section. Cheers and good luck.

Latest posts

Back