Footswitch jack problem...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mush

Reaction score
I don't know if it is the cord or the FS JAck that is the culprit but that thing is crackling big time. As soon has the cord move a little, the amp makes crackling static noise.

Never had something like that with my F-50 in 8 years.
I have the MArk V new since december.

Is there something I can do ?
Do I have to contact Mesa or my dealer ?

Mush

Just make sure it's in all the way. When you pull it out, the amp will default to channel one. The "static" is just the relays clicking when they're "engaged" and "disengaged" because there isn't a solid connection between the amp and the footswitch.

First take some dielectic grease and put a LITTLE bit on each end of the connector on the cable end. Then take a pliers and SLIGHTLY oval the connector on each end, with the detent on the cable being the high point of the oval. always support the cable by routing it either though the handle of the head or combo and at the footswitch end coil it a couple of times at the base of the FS and then plug it in. if the cable wiggles it will be intemitant. but if you try these "tricks" you will be able to get it so it dosn't cut out.

My MkV also went crazy with crackling & popping relays. Pretty much out of the blue.
I'd been gigging with it since I got it in Summer 09 with few or no issues.
After the relay problems started, I tried swapping the cable from my Roadster.
The cables are very finicky. The Roadster had similar issues. At first the other cable
seemed to calm it down, then it went crazy again and it was unuseable.
Finally took it in for servicing. My tech applied a Factory engineering update to
the Footswitch circuit. Even though it spec'd out ok, he wasn't happy with the workaround.
He gave me a new cable as well.
After I picked it up, I fired it up and, Bingo! Exact same problem!
Tried 2 different cables with varying results. The key is to make sure the cable
is seated very securely at the amp and FS. Do this before turning on the amp
or else it's relay city.
I don't like the feel of the cable connection at either end. I just think the barrel isn't long
enough to make proper contact. I thought it might be the plastic jacket that was too large
to fit in the opening, but on closer inspection, it had plenty of clearance on the FS side.
Once I position the cable and FS on the floor, I can't even breathe near the cable or it
goes crazy. As long as the cable is secure and doesn't get moved at all, it seems to
work ok. But I always bring a spare amp just in case....

Good luck!

Same thing happened to my footswitch. It was the ground pin on the footswitch jack. Apparently Boogie had this happen alot with the Mark V footswitch so they made a DIY 123 step by step how to fix it. It was just pulling up the ground tab in the footswitch jack so it made contact with the cable connectors contact. Email Boogie if it continues and they will email you a sheet on how to fix.

An update to my post from 3.28.12

After messing with the orig MkV FS cable, the new cable from my repair shop & my Roadster
cable, I could not get the relay problem corrected. It was just too sensitive and unreliable.

I finally ordered a new 20' 8 Pin DIN cable from Best Tronics (guitar-cable.com)
Even though the barrel was slightly shorter than the others, it worked perfectly on the
first attempt. Not a single relay noise. Played for a half hour without a peep.

I can only assume the pins on the new cable make better contact than the Boogie supplied
cables. I'm going to order a couple more for backup. I recommend you do the same if
you are having this issue. Now I can gig the amp again!

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back