Fixed bias... so I can change my own tubes??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bag

Reaction score
So there's a fixed bias, what do I need to know? Can I change the preamp tubes, too? Or just the power tubes?

Fixed bias means you should use Mesa tubes if your amp's under warranty.
Or Groove Tubes rated from 4 - 7.
These guys pick tubes that will match the bias set in the amp.
Some don't like this because their need to tinker is diminished (we ARE men, after all!)
All the reputable interweb tube vendors will sell you a set that works, if you tell them what you have.
Pre-amp tubes don't need to be biased. A lot of players like to experiment with different types (we ARE men, after all!)
Despite what almost everyone says, pre-amp tubes do not normally "wear out" like power tubes, and may last many 1,000s of hours with reasonable care. They are more likely to fail due to rough handling, and therefore, mechanical failure (we ARE men, after all!)
Lotsa guys swear by 30-40 year-old pre-amp tubes, and they sound quite good, thank you very much.

MrMarkIII said:
Fixed bias means you should use Mesa tubes if your amp's under warranty.
Or Groove Tubes rated from 4 - 7.
These guys pick tubes that will match the bias set in the amp.
Some don't like this because their need to tinker is diminished (we ARE men, after all!)
All the reputable interweb tube vendors will sell you a set that works, if you tell them what you have.
Pre-amp tubes don't need to be biased. A lot of players like to experiment with different types (we ARE men, after all!)
Despite what almost everyone says, pre-amp tubes do not normally "wear out" like power tubes, and may last many 1,000s of hours with reasonable care. They are more likely to fail due to rough handling, and therefore, mechanical failure (we ARE men, after all!)
Lotsa guys swear by 30-40 year-old pre-amp tubes, and they sound quite good, thank you very much.

So... if I wanted to retube my amp with electro harmonix tubes, how would I go about it with my dual rec?

"All the reputable interweb tube vendors will sell you a set that works, if you tell them what you have."

Back