First time replacing tubes in my Mark IV (help)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cesjr

Reaction score
I need some suggestions of what brand of tubes to go with. I love the stock tone, so I'm not interested in power tube substitution. I've heard many people recommend JJ tubes. Are they better than the stock tubes Mesa uses in their amps? How so?

Any other brands I should consider?

Thanks,

cesjr

I use JJ 6L6's and the 12AX7 high gain premp tube kit from Eurotubes. I noticed an improvement in my lead tone even at lower volumes. The cleans are still very nice, a little rounder perhaps.

The amp is also a lot quieter. One of the stock Mesa power tubes was causing a popping sound, and one of the preamp tubes was microphonic - and this was a new amp! So I really had no choice but to replace the tubes. I had the JJ's laying around, and I really have never had good luck with Mesa tubes, so the JJ's were the natural choice.

I used JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes in my Mark IV. He is really good at getting the exact tone that someone is looking for, provided they know what they want.

The JJ's are much warmer and smoother to me. I was able to find many more settings that were pleasing after the change.

In my current Mesa amps, DC-2, DC-3, & DC-5, I use a mixture of tubes.

DC-2: Groove Tubes Mullard Re-Issue in V1, and JJ High Gain from Eurotubes (the set that I bought for my Mark IV) in the rest.

DC-3: JJ's in V1, 2, 3, 6 and Power Tubes. Electro Harmonix in V4, and Mesa in V5.

DC-5: Stock Mesa tubes that are shot and need replacing.

The Mesa tubes might be a little more quiet, I don't really remember what they sounded like when they were new, but the JJ's have much more tone and warmth. Just my 2 micro-farads.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I was doing a little research at Eurotubes' website. Have either of you modified your Mark IV's for an adjustable bias? Honestly I'd rather not. Plus after reading Randall Smith's articles about bias adjustments, I'd be a little reluctant to modify my amp any time soon.

It seems the JJ like/dislike thing is a 50/50. Folks either love them or hate them. EG most of the folks on the Marshall forum hate them. Me included.

(I'm talking power tubes). On my TSL 122 I had 2 issues, when the JJ's went it it was like someone had a big heavy blanket over the amp and on top of that the tube rattle was just awful. Tried a couple of sets and the same dull tone. This was for both EL34's and E34L's. I moved the bias all over the place and nothing sounded good.

I put EH's EL34's in and it was like the amp came to life.

As far as 6V6 go JJ's sound great but the rattle makes the ones I have purchased unusable.

Pre amp JJ's are very good for sure.

As far as my Mark IV and Road King go the Mark IV is EH power tubes and the stock Mesa pre amp tubes and the Roadking is still all original.

My LSS has Stock power tubes and EH preamp.

In the end it's what "YOU" hear that matters.

brianf

In the end it's what "YOU" hear that matters.

This is why I was dreading a tube replacement. With all the different tube brands and types it can be quite overwhelming. So, I just wanted to replace my tubes with the stock tubes Mesa carries. I already know what they sound like.

The nice thing about Mesa Tubes is the 6 month warrenty. You can even send them back for tube rattle.

EH, Svetlana, (Winged C) JJ's etc. Any of the big names will do the job. If you get them from a good shop and don't like them most will let you return them for something else as long as you have not marked them up at all.

If you go to thetubestore.com they have quite detailed tone reports on all brands. That shop is just down the road from me (20 minutes) so I'll take my amp with me when it's time to retube and experiment a bit.

brianf

When purchasing power tubes for my Mark IV, I should get two sets of matched pairs, correct? Shouldn't all four be matched? Also, is there anything to consider when purchasing pre-amp tubes?

Thanks again,

cesjr

cesjr said:
When purchasing power tubes for my Mark IV, I should get two sets of matched pairs, correct? Shouldn't all four be matched? Also, is there anything to consider when purchasing pre-amp tubes?

Thanks again,

cesjr

I always get matched quads.

The nice thing about preamp tubes is they don't cost much so get an assortment. You can always keep them as spares or sell them.

I still like EH. I think they are quiet and have a nice chime to them.

brianf

Check out Doug at Dougstubes. Tell him what sound you want out of the amp and he will recommend tubes to fit your needs.

TW

Latest posts

Back