First TA-15 problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman63

Reaction score
I've had my TransAtlantic for a little over two weeks. I was just jamming through it; channel 2, H1, 25watt mode, gain wide open, volume around 10:00. My sound went thin and wimpy. V5 was glowing very red. So, looks like I've already got a bad output tube. I hope it's just a fluke and not something else taking it out. Not sure if I should just change the bad one or both. I need to re-read the manual.

EL84s are probably the worst built tubes today.

Anyway, just take it back to where you bought it and they should replace the pair of tubes under warranty.

Looks like a mild short in the V5 output tube. I actually ordered the amp from Sweetwater. I'm hoping they'll work with me. What is it with EL84's that makes them badly built in general? I'm curious now.

They're crap because they're expected to be cheap. It must cost almost as much to make one as to make an octal power tube, but they sell for about half the price. Even the prices of modern preamp and octal tubes are ridiculously cheap, so it's no wonder they're all junk. Compare the prices to those of NOS tubes when they were just 'new', and adjust for inflation, and you'll see what I mean. (In fact, you'll find that those tubes are *still* not expensive today - it's just that they're perceived to be because of the cheap modern ones.)

Just to correct the impression given by the thread title, this is almost certainly a *junk modern production tube problem*, not a TA-15 problem. It's not Mesa's fault, every large-scale amp manufacturer has the same trouble - you can only test tubes so much, and they can still fail afterwards even with rigorous testing. If the quality isn't in there in the first place - which it isn't, on any tube currently made in the former Communist countries - then testing simply weeds out the already bad ones, it doesn't improve the others.

Post subject: Re: First TA-15 problem

"FWIW any Boogie dealer should be able to swap you some tubes."

I'm sure they can. I was hoping to get them under warrenty. I'm calling tech support at Sweetwater today.

iceman63,

I am sure that the new set will rememdy the short you experienced in your EL-84!
As others have stated the El-84's unfortunately aren't known for being robust tubes
and they do have a higher failure rate than 6V6's,6L6's or El34's!

Mac

I run my little ValveTrain six watter wide open all the time...no tube issues as of yet. She runs a single 12AX7 and a single 6V6.

Latest posts

Back