First Post.....You have all saved my LS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messaboog1e

Reaction score
Just found this board the other day. Traded my very nice Egnater Renegade 1x12 for a 2005 LoneStar. I admit I fell in love with the LS because of the famed "Timmons Tone". But channel 2 sounds like ***. Sounds like my amp ate chili all night and has the farts. I've tried everything I could get my hands on. I also ordered a whole new set pf pre and power tubes that I hope help. I think the power tubes are original 2005.

I've been up all night the last 2 nights reading about the Reeder mod's and Splatter's bias mod. I have every intention of doing the first Reeder mod as well as the Bias mode. I'm hoping that helps. Otherwise, I traded a perfectly crystal clear amp for a mud puddle.

Thanks everyone in advance....love the site. :D

Another important thing is to keep the drive higher than the gain. Try the gain at 11-12:00, and drive at 2-4:00. You'll hear a difference right away. Of course keeping the bass and mids down at 10:00 or lower. Treble and presence at 12:00 and above. I did these settings before the mod and still do. I set both ch's with those settings. I haven't done the bias mod yet. That's how good the Reeder #1 is.

Thanks Plan! At this point, the bass is off. If I could set it negative, I would. Looking forward to the new tubes, the mods, and the board's awesome experience.

messaboog1e said:
If I could set it negative, I would.
That's where the Reeder mod #2 can help. It changes the EQ section to completely stop signal on the bass, mid, treble, & presence when those pots are turned all the way down. Normally when you turn them down, there is still some low mid/bass stuff coming thru. Give it a try and see. After the mod, that stuff goes away. So you can dial in the exact amount of bass, mids, etc. This works especially well on ch 2. Ch 1 seems to benefit from that low/mid muffle and sounds fuller w/o the mod. As I stated back in the days," Ch 1 seems to loose it's mojo with the mod".

I may not even do the Bias mod. Why? (1) I'm totally happy with the Reeder mods, both mods affect the 2nd ch getting it to a place that it sounds wonderful. (2) Ch 1 ain't broke. It's the shining star of the LS line. Big as Texas, wide as the Rio Grande, etc (3) After spending a chunk of change on some nice tubes, which improves tone also, do I want to burn them up much quicker with a hot bias. I've gotten years out of my JJ's.

Thank you very much. I'm going to take your advice, do the Reeder Mods and put new tubes in. Hopefully I'll be as happy as you are. Thanks Plan!

Also, see if you can manage to get Channel 2's output higher than 1:00. This will no doubt make you lower the main output, but doing this removes some mud, even with no reeder mod.

Thanks Maury! I put in all new JJ tubes last night and it seems a little clearer. It's hard to get this thing cranked up in my apartment, but I'm doing my best. Thanks for the suggestions. Looking to do the Reeder Mod #1 this weekend.

messaboog1e said:
Thanks Maury! I put in all new JJ tubes last night and it seems a little clearer. It's hard to get this thing cranked up in my apartment, but I'm doing my best. Thanks for the suggestions. Looking to do the Reeder Mod #1 this weekend.
A LS in an apartment! That would kill me. Feel for you. Everytime you turn the volume up a little you can hear that it wants to be turned up a little more. I havnt done any of the mods(I have but I swapped them back to factory standard) The mods might help you to get a less muddy sound at apartment volume level's.

Latest posts

Back