First gig with Mark IV tonight!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
We ran our own sound and did a sound check last night and it was smokin'! I have the 2 thieles stacked vertically and the head on top of the two thieles. I am running it Full power and the master is only at 2, and it is PLENTY loud! I am forever amazed at how loud the MIV can be. Let me just tell you that the tone just keeps getting better as you crank it up. Everyone says this, and I agree completely. I ended up turning the EQ off for RHY1 and RHY2 and hit LD-EQ so the EQ kicks on for the Lead channel (coz I like to boost the low end and cut mids for heavier rhythm tone). Sounds great on stage and in the mix. I will give an update after tonight's show (for an expected 150 people) later this weekend......

Sounds good man. I've never played in a gig yet so fill me in on the basics. You plug in the Mark IV to the P.A. and then what...adjust the volumes? How loud do you have to have it set? Just enough for you to hear your sound on stage..I don't really understand. Sorry for the noob question. Good luck btw.

good luck bro.
hopefully ill be on stage with ur ol markie in a few months.
i love this thing , but its killing my hearing lol.
( i choose to play it louder just for bedroom practice cause im an idiot , for all prospective mk 4 buyers )

So, the show went well last night. There was not NEARLY as many people as they thought were going to be there. More like 50 rather than 150, but we got paid all the same. The Mark did very well. We had some power issues so the bass and my guitar ended up not being miced, but even though the thiele wasn't mic'd my fiance said my guitar was coming through the mix just fine and she could hear every note very clearly, so I was happy to hear that. Anyway, I was very happy with my tone overall!

rabies: I ended up leaving it at 2 as to not mess up the mix. There was apparently not enough power on the circuits in the room to power the power amps for the PA speakers so we had to take some stuff out of the mix to leave room for the drums (via triggers) and mics. I thought I could turn up a bit, but 2 was scorching as it was, and it seemed to be mixing with the band just fine, so I left it. I would have loved to crank it on up though! But, even at 2, my left ear was starting to feel the effects of the thieles pumping out tone. It was not a huge room, and we weren't trying to be over the top loud like a Motley Crue concert or anything, so it worked out. Haha.

fpoon: I wouldn't advise plugging the Mark straight to the PA, even from the direct record out. I had an SM57 in place on the bottom thiele on axis and about half way b/w the center of the speaker and the edge. 2 on the Master was loud enough for my rig to be miced, but I guess depending on the cabs you are running your results may vary. But, like I said, they ended up pulling the guitar and bass out of the mix.

stonedkirby: Good luck with your gig search! Try to save your hearing for the stage. Haha.

WooHoo!
Sounds like you had fun.

So did I last night with my Mark I. Probably a bit quieter as I'm running 6V6's on tweed and the 60 setting, but it was still enough to be plenty loud where I was standing.

People out front (all 15 - 20 of them in this old theater) said it was fine, even with two other guitars, bass and drums, three vocalists it was blended ok for Pop/Rock.

So your mic's where connected to the P.A not the amp itself? Since your Master was only on 2, does that mean the mic's boost the signal for your sound to be heard? Sorry I'm a complete beginner with this kind of stuff.

No worries fpoon. The amp was plenty loud at 2 without it being mic'd, but in the case that it is not loud enough by itself or you want to run everyone through the PA for a smoother mix, the mic in front of your guitar cab would be run to the mixing board with the rest of the mics and then mixed from there so everything sounds nice and even through the PA for the audience. Last night we basically 'virtually' mixed the guitar and bass (as I like to call it). We adjusted the guitar and bass so we could hear it on stage and so it sounded nice and smooth in front of the PA speakers as well. In my old band we did not have ANY PA whatsoever. Ha, we just 'vitually' mixed everyone to sound good with the drums. The singer sang out of a spare amp. We played classic rock so the raw sound of pure amplifiers and acoustic drums worked well for us. Too bad the singer's drug problem didn't work well for us. Those were the days.... Haha.

yetto: Yep, it was a blasty blast! Sounds like we play very different music, but both had good shows. I don't care how many people I play for, as long as they are digging the music!

MusicManJP6 said:
...We played classic rock so the raw sound of pure amplifiers and acoustic drums worked well for us...

yetto: Yep, it was a blasty blast! Sounds like we play very different music, but both had good shows...

Well we range from Classic Rock to newer Rock sounds, with some ballads mixed in.
I DID stay in input #1 all night, so the clean sounds were only on way quiet ballads, and even then not squeaky clean, just cleanER! :wink:

Oh yeah, and we had TWICE as many people as last week!
If this keeps up they'll get exponential and we'll need a stadium! :roll:

MusicManJP6 said:
I thought I could turn up a bit, but 2 was scorching as it was, and it seemed to be mixing with the band just fine, so I left it. I would have loved to crank it on up though! But, even at 2, my left ear was starting to feel the effects of the thieles pumping out tone.
Have fun but don’t go deaf in the process.
My god man! Your playing Boogie anything over 4 that amp is considered a weapon. (and I bet you were not even running your channel volumes that hot either)
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/hesksc.html?gclid=CNvJkcWDtY4CFQGRPAodOkgZxw
I have tried a lot of different plugs and I seem the most pleased with these plus due to their design you can get them in and out very quick and adjust also.

Haha. What I meant was, by the end of the night, I could tell I had been listening to something loud more on the left side of me than the right coz I'm on the right side of the stage. It went away VERY quickly. 2 on the master is scorching, but not incredibly dangerous by any means. But, you are right, the channel volumes were only on 4, 3, and 3 for rhy1, 2, and Lead respectively. I'll check out the earplugs for bigger gigs for sure though!

Latest posts

Back