Finding matching pairs of tubes for 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecervantes

Reaction score
I recently retubed my Triaxis and Simul 2:90 with tubes directly from the Mesa. It was the first time I retubed a 2:90 and an amp for that matter. The thing is I have just realized power tubes come in pairs that are supposed to be matched. How do I match them and how do I know what color each tube is if I arleady installed them all randomly. Please help me retube this amp correctly. Would it really improve the performance of this amp if I match pairs? I am in general happy with the clean sounds I am getting but not quite with the lead modes. Do you think matching these pairs will help? Later I will start experimenting with tubes on the Triaxis but for now I want to get the sounds Mesa meant to produce. Let me just say that I really appreciate all the posts on this forum and hope that you can share your views on this topic.

Each tube should have a label wrapping around the base.
"GRN" means green, "GRY" is gray, etc.
All 6L6s or EL-34s, too?

If you are happy with your cleans, your tubes are working well together. Switching them around won't improve your lead tone specifically. You need to sort that out on your preamp - or you can get some change by using the presence control and modern/half/deep modes of the 2:90. Decent lead tones aren't usually too hard to get if you know how to use your Triaxis. How long have you had your Mesa gear? Do you understand how it all works?

Latest posts

Back