Finally played a Stiletto Ace...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt_Core

Reaction score
All I can say is "wow". I've had an F-50 combo for a year, for comparison sake. I use the F-50 with an Avatar 212 cab with Hellatone 60L's.

I thought the voicing switches were really nice. On the F-50 you have to push the OD channel's master past 9 o'clock to get really good tube break-up. I felt the Stiletto Ace didn't need to be pushed that far, which means more control over the overall volume. Of course, the F-50 Contour OD seems to have more gain on tap but for the Ace seemed a lot more dynamic in every way. Pick attack, low-gain sounds, not as compressed, etc. I've never owned a Marshall but did play the new JVM and Vintage Modern today as well. Honestly prefer the Ace.

It's a used one at our local Guitar Center. Some guy traded it in because his drummer knocked over the microphone stand and ripped the front grill but didn't damage the speaker. It's listed at $1299 and needs the grill replaced. The sales guy hinted as I was about to head back to work that they can really work on the price. I like the closed-back design of the Ace better than the open F-50. Wouldn't need the Avatar cab at that point but the Ace is **** heavy!

Guess I'm rambling now ;) but I'm impressed with the Ace. Only played for about 15 minutes but seemed like a lot of tones can be coaxed out of it. FYI.....I'm in a rock cover band and needed a great clean channel/great rock distortion, not death metal or thrash tones so that's why I went with the F-50. Seems like the Ace is more versatile just not sure it's worth upgrading from my F-50. Thoughts?

Ace is a better amp in my opinion.. check the emporium here and on ebay if you dont want to haggle with GC.

Since the Stiletto Ace combo has a V30 in it, would the Ace head sound similar with my Avatar cab loaded with Hellatone 60L's (broken-in V30's)?

That's pretty subjective, I've not played the Hellatone but I imagine it would be close once the V30 is broken in a bit.

Platypus said:
That's pretty subjective, I've not played the Hellatone but I imagine it would be close once the V30 is broken in a bit.

Just read a bunch of reviews that talk about the great tuned cabinet of the combo.

How would you describe the sound difference between the Bold/Spongy power setting? I'm guessing the diode rectifier adds a tighter/crispier feel compared to the tube setting?

Lt_Core said:
Platypus said:

Just read a bunch of reviews that talk about the great tuned cabinet of the combo.

How would you describe the sound difference between the Bold/Spongy power setting? I'm guessing the diode rectifier adds a tighter/crispier feel compared to the tube setting?

Spongy gets crunchier faster than bold but the bold is punchier. Spongy is what I use mostly to get breakup at lower volumes but giggind I'd use bold for sure. The diode adds a quicker attack to the sound which is awesome for the fluid channel but I much prefer the tube rectifier for everything else. The sag is awesome.

I'm sittin in the spongy zone with my 335 and the sound and feel is so inspirational. All I want to do is get that guitar in my hands plug into the Ace and get in the mix. I thought my Les Paul and the Ace was as good as it gets but I was wrong, the 335 and Ace are the cats meow.

How hard is it to replace the torn grill on the Ace combo, if I decide to get the used one? This sucker needs casters or something. So darn heavy.

Is there only one Ace 112 combo or did Mesa release a new version of it, similar to the Stiletto Deuce Stage 1 or 2? Any benefits with the head version, besides the weight?

Lt_Core said:
How hard is it to replace the torn grill on the Ace combo, if I decide to get the used one? This sucker needs casters or something. So darn heavy.

Is there only one Ace 112 combo or did Mesa release a new version of it, similar to the Stiletto Deuce Stage 1 or 2? Any benefits with the head version, besides the weight?

There's only one Ace model (1x12, 2x12 or head).. it is a Stage II by default. The benefit would be the weight and some people complain that the combo will shorten your tube life (something I've never seen after years of owning combos). I have casters on my 2x12 but I removed them in my current stack setup. The casters make a big difference as far as moving it around.

I personally love the sound of combos, the 2x12 honestly sounds like a cranked 4x12 to my ears and it's nice to have one package to move.

As far as replacing the tolex, I'm not sure since I've never done it, hopefully someone will chime in on that one for you.

Mesa sells replacement grills; they are on the Pronet Price List, so it shouldn't be too difficult. The ACE is a wonderful piece, go get it and enjoy!!!!!

Cheers,

Richt

rippingrudy said:
The Ace BLOWS THE F-50 OUT OF THE WATER. I've owned both.

The F-50 is like the student entry level Mesa amp.

I knew someone was going to say that ;) When I played it I heard the difference, almost instantly.

Does $1299 sound right for a used Stiletto Ace 1x12? This one needs grill repair work, as well. I think I can get them down around $1000.

richt said:
Mesa sells replacement grills; they are on the Pronet Price List, so it shouldn't be too difficult. The ACE is a wonderful piece, go get it and enjoy!!!!!

Cheers,

Richt

What is the Pronet Price list? I found Mesa's product list, but no pricing.

I would link to it but it says not to. Look at the sticky at the top of this Modern Era Amps forum.

I have both the F-50 head and a Stiletto Deuce. They are both great amps and imho are tonally on par with each other. The F-50 can definitely get tones that are not available on the Stiletto and vice versa. I prefer the F-50 for cleans and super saturated gain/ Metal and the Stiletto for everything else. The Stiletto is definitely a better 'crunch machine'.

While the F-50 doesn't look as nice as the Stiletto or have the same power/rectifier etc options I don't think it's accurate to call it a student/ entry level amp.

Keep in mind that I am comparing the head version of both these amps and I am using the same cab with each of them. I'm sure that if you compared the combo versions there would probably be a big difference because of the cabinet/speakers.

Anyway... I can definitely recommend the Stiletto but I would keep your F 50 if you can. If you need to lose the F-50 the Stiletto would probably be an upgrade but it depends on what type of music you are playing.

Charlie said:
Anyway... I can definitely recommend the Stiletto but I would keep your F 50 if you can. If you need to lose the F-50 the Stiletto would probably be an upgrade but it depends on what type of music you are playing.

Well, I'd have to get rid of my F-50 combo to make way for the Stiletto, unfortunately :(

Looking at our song list, we lean more towards the crunch end of things. I've spent a bunch of money on finding British-sounding pedals to use with my F-50. Those would probably go away ;)

Here is our song list: note that many of the oldies we punk up and rock out :)

http://www.naughtymonkeyband.com/songs/song_list.html

Current pedals I use with my F-50:

Input: TU-2 -> Modded Crybaby -> Barber Tone Press -> Barber LTD Silver -> Barber Direct Drive -> Little Big Muff -> MI Audio Boost N' Buff -> EVH Phase 90

Loop: CE-5 -> Tuna Melt Tremolo ->DD-20 -> Hash Browns Flanger -> MXR KFK 10-band EQ

Yup... the Stiletto is probably better suited for that stuff. I'd keep your pedals though! You aren't going to get the Big Muff sound out of a Stiletto unless you put a Big Muff in front of it.

:wink:

Still think you should keep your F-50!

Charlie said:
Yup... the Stiletto is probably better suited for that stuff. I'd keep your pedals though! You aren't going to get the Big Muff sound out of a Stiletto unless you put a Big Muff in front of it.

:wink:

Still think you should keep your F-50!

Wasn't planning on dumping the Little Big Muff, just the LTD, Direct Drive and Boost N' Buff.

No way I can keep both amps without ending up on the couch for awhile....LOL! Seriously, we're doing some home improvements right now and need the extra cash.

Latest posts

Back