Finally got mail order bride for my Electra Dyne!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespauljoe1

Reaction score
My 2 X 12 cab finally arrived yesterday. Here are a few photos.

http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/lespauljoe/Mesa%20Boogie%20Electra%20Dyne/

Dam those are some sweet looking cabs. Please give us a report on how it sounds through just the cab. I've been thinking about making the plunge on a couple of 2x12 cabs but my recto/ rectos 2x12 sound so good I'm wondering if it's worth it.

specialed said:
Dam those are some sweet looking cabs. Please give us a report on how it sounds through just the cab. I've been thinking about making the plunge on a couple of 2x12 cabs but my recto/ rectos 2x12 sound so good I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I will report on the tones I get with the cab alone and both together in a week or so. I have some NOS RCA preamp tubes on the way. I don't want to make any report until I've installed those. If these make the tonal difference I believe they will, I will be on the hunt for some NOS power tubes.

It is hard to believe this amp can be any better, but I believe it is possible. I will give my thoughts on the amp and cab with new modern tubes and the difference the NOS tubes make. Good or bad. I already have high quality tubes in the amp. I have SED Winged C power tubes and a combination of standard JJ 12AX7's, gold pin ECC83S's, and gold pin ECC803S's installed.

A great amp made even better and I think there will be a noticeable difference with the NOS tubes. I can't wait. Until then.

specialed said:

I just compared the recto 2x12 cabs with the ED 2x12 cabs. long story short...i came home with the ED cab. fits the dyne perfectly. more midrange and less boomy sounding than the recto cab, plus the cleans sounded better. great, great cab

screamingdaisy said:
Goldtops rock. 8)

Thanks. I love my R7. It is loaded with RS Guitarworks electronics and wiring and WB Custom Firewater pickups. She sounds marvelous :D .

Sweet looking rig joe !
Can't wait for the tone report when your tubes arrive.

Birdy said:
Sweet looking rig joe !

Thanks.

There is an outside chance the tubes may arrive tomorrow, but more than likely, it will be on Monday if the mail runs. Not sure if USPS gets a day off for the 4th since it is on Sunday. Otherwise it will be Tuesday.

lespauljoe1 said:
Birdy said:
Sweet looking rig joe !

Thanks.

There is an outside chance the tubes may arrive tomorrow, but more than likely, it will be on Monday if the mail runs. Not sure if USPS gets a day off for the 4th since it is on Sunday. Otherwise it will be Tuesday.

Ha....just the opposite here. I got my matched quad of =C= EL34s a week or
so ago. Waiting for my short head to get here to load them up.
Phoned Mesa today to see if it was shipped, but I forgot they don't answer on
Fridays.
I tried a bunch of AX7A swaps on my 2x12 combo in all positions. I *REALLY* like
a Tung Sol RI in V1, and a SPAX7 in V2 and V3.
I've got no issues tonewise with the stock 6L6 power tubes, so for now, they stay in my combo.
I just scooped up a pair of old Genelex 12AT7s for nothing today. Might try one in the reverb slot.

I received the NOS preamp tubes today and experimented some. I ordered 6 RCA 12AX7's and 1 GE 12AT7 for the phase invertor. I was looking to smooth things out a little more and tame the highs slightly to get a very smooth top end. The guy I bought them from (member here, he's selling these tubes in the classifieds) said he liked the GE as a PI. It definitely smoothed thins out, but I replaced it. I had 4 SED Winged C 6L6's installed.

After playing for a short time, I noticed that the 12AT7 reduced the output more than I wanted. I ended up having to roll up the guitar volumn which added more gain than I wanted in the clean channel. I try and get that channel loud and as clean as possible first and I then tweak everything else accordingly. Anyway, I removed the GE and moved an RCA from V4 to V7. I then inserted a JJ 12AX7 into V4. Sounded great. Very smooth and tone forever. It really did improve the overall tone, although slightly.

Just for kicks, I put in the Mesa 6L6's. To my amazement, I really liked the tone more with these in. They are going to remain in. I am searching for some RCA NOS 6L6's. If I can find a quad for a reasonable price I will probably try them before I am finished. I will report on the extension cab in another post.

lespauljoe1 said:
Just for kicks, I put in the Mesa 6L6's. To my amazement, I really liked the tone more with these in. They are going to remain in. I am searching for some RCA NOS 6L6's. If I can find a quad for a reasonable price I will probably try them before I am finished. I will report on the extension cab in another post.

I'm normally a big proponent of Mesa 6L6s being better than a lot of people claim, but be advised that new tubes do have a bit of a burn in period. I'd try rocking those new tubes for a week or so to put some time on them and then compare tubes again.

screamingdaisy said:
lespauljoe1 said:

I'm normally a big proponent of Mesa 6L6s being better than a lot of people claim, but be advised that new tubes do have a bit of a burn in period. I'd try rocking those new tubes for a week or so to put some time on them and then compare tubes again.

Thanks for the advice. I did consider that a posibility and you're right, I'll put some more hours in them and compare again.

I love the ED. I really don't think there is anything that can be changed to make a big improvement. Everything will be very subtle imo. That is why for most, the cost of NOS tubes will probably not be worth the investment. Again imo.

After giving the NOS tubes a good run through, I have noticed some definite changes. More than I initially thought.

I actually started from scratch and progressed slowly. I put all the stock Mesa tubes back in and proceeded to switch tubes in V1 until I got what I liked most. I then went through V2 through V7 one at a time the same as with V1. It appeared to me that V1 definitely had the largest impact on the overall tone. To make a long story short, I ended up with NOS tubes in every location. All but one location has the RCA's. In V3 I have a Brimar 12AX7. I changed things around so much I accidently broke the tip off of one of the RCA's, so I ordered another and the member I bought them from is sending me 2 for the price of 1. He' a great guy to deal with btw.

IMO, what each individual is looking for in their tone will dictate what tubes best suit their needs. I was looking to smooth the overall tone, decrease a little harshness, especially in the high end. The NOS tubes really do the trick for that. There is still plenty of high end, it is just more rounded and sweet imo. Exactly what I wanted. Remember, I'm a blues/classic rock guy.

Tonewise, I really think the new production JJ's and Tung-Sol's sound quite good. As I said though, the overall tone is definitely brighter, aggresive and harsh. There is more hiss if you will, when in LO and HI range. This may be what some want however, so it is a personal preference.

I thought the Tung-Sol's were a little smoother than the JJ's, but very slightly. I could use either with no problem, but I do like the NOS tubes more without a doubt. I still prefer the Mesa power tubes. I just ordered another set of 6L6's from Boogie that are slightly different than the stock ones. Just to see what I prefer.

I have severl very lightly used JJ & Tung-Sol preamp tubes and a quad of SED Winged C 6L6's on *bay if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back