Finally got a Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreeve25

Reaction score
I finally got a Mark V head, and am running through a 2x12 horizontal rectifier cab.

The clean channel is nice, but seems to quiet, unless on tweed mode. Maybe I am missing something???

Crunch mode is decent. I can't get a good sound out of Mark 1 mode. For some reason, this was the mode I could not wait to try.

The C+ mode and Mark IV sound like modeling amps to me. I started w/ suggested settings, and then tried adjusting to my taste.
Both modes just sound thin and digital to me.

I have had (6) C+'s, (4) Mark III's, and a Mark IV. Also (2) Rect-o-verbs, an F-50, .50 caliber+, and 5:25 express.

I have become very familiar with dialing in the Mark series amplifiers.

The extreme setting, is where it is at for me. Sounds awesome. The other modes in channel 3, to me are not to my liking that much. Bummer....

One possible factor is that I am used to playing through EVM-12L Classics. But again, I am really liking the Extreme mode w/ the rectifier cab.

I guess time will tell if this amp is for me, or if it is back to the old workhorses.

While I wouldn't put down the other modes in the manner that you have. I will say that I agree that crunch and Extreme seem to be what my ears like hearing as well.

It's interesting that were both playing through 2x12 rec cabs also. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

I'd like to try some EV's but it's not in the budget at the moment.

I found that Mark 1, IIC+ and IV modes really came unto their own with a smaller cab. The smaller cabs produce more upper bass and less lower bass than the Recto cab, which seems to suit those modes better.

That's not to say that you can't get great sounds with the Recto cab... I just like a smaller cab better. In my case it's a V30 loaded Orange 4x12, although I feel the Stiletto cab would produce a similar result.

If you find your clean channel sounding too quiet, turn down the channel master on the other two channels. The best results (IMO) are with the master on the loudest channel (usually channel 3) between 9:00 and 10:00... this lets you balance all three channels easier, and avoids overdriving the effects loop and/or effects within the loop.

Regarding Mark I mode, give this a shot:

Triode, Graphic EQ on PRESET mode at '11 0 clock', or 'Off' If your want more old school feel.
Pre stage Treble - Max, Middle - 12 o clock, bass - zero, Prescence - 4 oclock/max

FX loop bypassed.

Then its pure awesome win.

There is no Triode mode on the second channel, where the Mark 1 mode lives. There's only Diode and Tube. I am sure you meant Diode though. :)

screamingdaisy said:
I found that Mark 1, IIC+ and IV modes really came unto their own with a smaller cab. The smaller cabs produce more upper bass and less lower bass than the Recto cab, which seems to suit those modes better.

That's not to say that you can't get great sounds with the Recto cab... I just like a smaller cab better. In my case it's a V30 loaded Orange 4x12, although I feel the Stiletto cab would produce a similar result.

If you find your clean channel sounding too quiet, turn down the channel master on the other two channels. The best results (IMO) are with the master on the loudest channel (usually channel 3) between 9:00 and 10:00... this lets you balance all three channels easier, and avoids overdriving the effects loop and/or effects within the loop.

Agree with this sentiment. Mark 1 is AWESOME with my Port City 2x12. Just dial back the bass and watch out! I don't even use Ch. 3 anymore, the leads are so fluid in Mark 1 mode!

satch4u3 said:
There is no Triode mode on the second channel, where the Mark 1 mode lives. There's only Diode and Tube. I am sure you meant Diode though. :)

And remember this choice is only in 45 watts.

smd24fan said:
screamingdaisy said:

Agree with this sentiment. Mark 1 is AWESOME with my Port City 2x12. Just dial back the bass and watch out! I don't even use Ch. 3 anymore, the leads are so fluid in Mark 1 mode!

This is what makes the V so special. So with the above fact that you don't use channel 3 in my mind for you the amp is even more versatile. You're getting what you want and still have a channel left over to work with.

Vogelsong said:
smd24fan said:
screamingdaisy said:

This is what makes the V so special. So with the above fact that you don't use channel 3 in my mind for you the amp is even more versatile. You're getting what you want and still have a channel left over to work with.
Well said.

I was able to get a good sound out of the Mark IV mode. Still not convinced of the C+ mode yet. I have all weekend to play around with it though.

Hey Mike. Hopefully you get things dialed in the way you like. I have a Mark I reissue, and going over to the V it doesn't dial in exactly the same, and doesn't get the entire range of sounds the original amp has... but it does capture the vibe of that amp, and does so to the extent that I don't think I would miss the Mark I if it were gone.

If you are running with the loop in the circuit (output & solo enabled) something you may try is opening the master on channel 2 almost all the way up. That seems to bring out more top end and tightens things up.

satch4u3 said:

Hahahah Good call.
Today my name is "Brain noob". :lol:

Well, it's official. I have come around to the Mark IIC+ mode. It took a lot of tweaking, but I found the sound I was hoping to hear.

Going from (2) C+'s, to a Mark V, my expectations were high. I have to say that I am VERY SURPRISED!!!

mreeve25 said:
Well, it's official. I have come around to the Mark IIC+ mode. It took a lot of tweaking, but I found the sound I was hoping to hear.

Going from (2) C+'s, to a Mark V, my expectations were high. I have to say that I am VERY SURPRISED!!!

Nice! How did you dial it in to most closely hit the C+ sound?

Back