Finally good comparison between Mk IIIc+ Mk III red stripe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reeko81

Reaction score
Finally, after months of playing with a great smile on my face i've compared my Mk III blue stripes I modded C+ myself and my friend Mk III red stripes, both played through a 4x12 standard recto.
Let's start from clean channel...maybe this is not the piece of cake, or the primary reason to buy a boogie...but believe or not now Mk IIIC+ is really similar to an old fender Twin clean channel i compared to.
The main difference is that at high gain setting the boogie is fatter than afender, but still retains that high sparkly sound and is nicely compressed as fender...
As for Mk III red stripes clean....well.....not really a clean sound....it's really easy to overdrive at 7 volume and it's not compressed and has not shimmering highs...it sounds more like an EL84 class A amp...it's more creamy than sparkling.

Now Lead channel...This has been as DAVIDE vs GOLIATh....
Open E chord Mk IIIC+ vs MK III red stripes...there can't be no comparison.... Playing with the same guitar an E palm mute chord through Mk III c+ was a super E....
Through MK III red stripes was like this E was a D....Not so deep and fat sound....and overall less harmonic and midrange...
Guitar through mk III red stripes seemed so tiny, through my mark IIIC+ was so fat, enormous but really super defined. Not like those newest recto muddy sound.
Obviously we were using same eq settings , and at last we did the MOP test.
We were crying...this is the real sound we listened when we were children on that album...
Sorry for other user who talked about this mod,but it's worth every cents...
Through my ears this modded amp is really smoother but it can be aggressive too. Its midrange is so improved that you can dare a deeper V curve.

Hope this will help someone when choosing between modding or not...
My friend started modding his amp that night!

so...how bout you tell us how to do the mod?
i have a red stripe sitting here that would be a lovely candadite.
pm me the instructions if you'd like.
:D

I'd love to know too,
the mod sounds like exactly what i am lookin for

does the pull deep still add gain? and is that really how its supposed to be?

I'm sorry for anyone asking instructions...
There is no instruction for this mod...
IF you are electronical and iron solder friendly, just compare mark III and mark IIc+ schematics, match them and you'll find the differences between these amps.
There are also a lot of differences between original Mk III schematic and any of your Mk III , cause you should know stripes criteria, and you could encounter on later Mk III some new Mk IV solutions you can visualize on Mk IV schematics....
So...there's no instruction...just compare those schematics and have a lot of fun with your iron solder!
Now i'm gonna modifying again my Mk III with a couple of octocouplers and a pot to add an indipendent gain control for clean channel...
It's not hard to do...it's just one of the newer solutions you find on Mk IV...

I'm sorry for anyone asking instructions...
There is no instruction for this mod...
IF you are electronical and iron solder friendly, just compare mark III and mark IIc+ schematics, match them and you'll find the differences between these amps.
There are also a lot of differences between original Mk III schematic and any of your Mk III , cause you should know stripes criteria, and you could encounter on later Mk III some new Mk IV solutions you can visualize on Mk IV schematics....
So...there's no instruction...just compare those schematics and have a lot of fun with your iron solder!
Now i'm gonna modifying again my Mk III with a couple of octocouplers and a pot to add an indipendent gain control for clean channel...

Reeko81 said:
That would be VERY VERY interesting to learn to do, and I guess it would be the same on the IIC+

regards
Tony

I am doing this mod..did you do just the lead preamp ? thats all i am aiming on right now..should get thing's sounding sweeter...

Boogiebabies said:
Riccardo blue printed the MK III to the MK IIC+ schematic, but with the correct values. The C+ schematic is not as exact as you may think.
i guess what i'm trying to find out is what the correct values are, and what components need to be changed.

for example if you said, R13 needs to be changed from whatever it is to x value, or cap c24 needs to be changed from this to that.

Latest posts

Back