Finally getting my Mark IV dialed in...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Brady

Reaction score
I have been having a hard time getting this amp to sound the way I knew it it could. There are a ton of tone options and I've been following the settings on line and in the manual but they just hadn't been working for me. It's always been a bit thin and ear piercingly trebly some times.

I have found that on my setup (Avatar Open back 2x12 with V30 and G12h30 speaker/Fender Texas special strat with pearly gates) I need to go against some of the conventional wisdom regarding these amps to get the tone I wanted. I never had the sustaing and thick single lead notes that I liked with it. I figured it needed more treble since the manual says keep the treble high for more gain, but it always sounded thin and piercing at high volume.

I've learned that lowering the treble, and increasing the mids and bass really adds fatness and warmth to the tone. I also lowered the lead gain and drive settings on the lead channel and with the combinations of settings I was finally able to achieve that fat thick mesa lead tone I knew was in the amp. Doing the same to the r2 mids and bass, but leaving the gain high gave me a beautiful warm, fat 80's metal/classic rock crunch that cleaned up nice for some SRV type blues when I rolled back the volume and switched to single coils. I'm in love again.

Lead Settings: Tweed, triode, Simul, harmonics. Lead gain 7, Treble 7, bass 5, mid 7, lead drive 6, presence pushed in on 3, channel volume 3, lead volume 3. Eq engaged with a shallower v on the ends. Bridge pickup.

R2 (same tweed etc.) Treble 6, bass 5, mids 7 lead drive 7 pulled(fat) Presence pushed in on 5, channel and master volume 3. This also gives a very nice clean too on R1. Adding some delay and reverb in the loop was tonal heaven.

These settings may not work for you, it seems the Mark IV is very picky about cabs and guitars and settings need to be changed for your speakers and type of cab. I have a closed back for the Avatar cab, but prefer the open back because in the band it cuts better and has too much bass that I was getting frequency clashes with the bass guitar.

While fiddling around with mine after coming from a Marshall upbringing I was really amazed at the sensistivity and sweep of the knobs. Typically fatter tones do require less gain and less highs. I found my sustain issues went away once I got into fixed bridge neckthrough guitars. I have gotten pretty decent sustain out of single coils but there again it was with serious volume too (the kind that feeds the guitar back the same thing that it is already doing kind of artificially creating the sound through the use of its own creation if that makes any sense).

I'm a new MKIV guy and have been stuggling too. I find the amp loves to be played loud and loves my Tele over my PRS (humbuckers). I have cracked the tone nut with the EQ on all the time and 4 yellow jackets (4 el84 power tubes) I can run full power with the YJ's and get either 20 watts or 40 watts. I can now run the amp at a tone full volume. Love this amp and all the options, it's like having a Vetta tube amp without efects.

You keep changing the settings on your Mark IV, even if you have it for years.

I play Mark IV's for over a year now and I changed my main settings the last time half an hour ago....

It are slight changes, but I'm still making slight adjustments...

I love the tone btw. Never gonna sell this thing.

Yeah, the treble on the lead channel can be piercing if too high. I'm thinking of going with a bass heavy pickup, so I can put it higher for more gain.

Oh, and glad to see you still have her! :D

UsrName said:
Yeah, the treble on the lead channel can be piercing if too high. I'm thinking of going with a bass heavy pickup, so I can put it higher for more gain.

Oh, and glad to see you still have her! :D

Yeah, I'm getting a tremoverb this weekend to compare. I'm going to keep whichever I like more.

Did you get a chance to compare to the Tremoverb?

I threw a Duncan Invader into my Jackson, and I am very happy with the tone I'm getting now. This pup is very bass heavy, which allowed me to turn the treble and presence up on my amp. Raising these two really makes the tone sweeter and clearer.

And you're right about the sensitivity to different cabs/speakers and guitars/pups. I just got a MC-90 for my combo after transplanting the original EVM to a Thiele. These two speakers sound totally different with this amp. It could also be because one cab is closed and one is open. I didn't like the EVM in the open combo. Just trying to say that there are so many factors contributing to the tone and this amp doesn't hide anything.

UsrName said:
Did you get a chance to compare to the Tremoverb?

I threw a Duncan Invader into my Jackson, and I am very happy with the tone I'm getting now. This pup is very bass heavy, which allowed me to turn the treble and presence up on my amp. Raising these two really makes the tone sweeter and clearer.

And you're right about the sensitivity to different cabs/speakers and guitars/pups. I just got a MC-90 for my combo after transplanting the original EVM to a Thiele. These two speakers sound totally different with this amp. It could also be because one cab is closed and one is open. I didn't like the EVM in the open combo. Just trying to say that there are so many factors contributing to the tone and this amp doesn't hide anything.

Yeah, I actually like the tremoverb better. I've decided I'm selling the Mark IV. It's in the spam thread at HC. I just like the recto sound to much. I posted a thread with a clip of the tremoverb in blues mode taken with my digital camera. The recording quality isn't good but it gives you an idea of the tone. The clip is posted on this forum's soundclip section.

Mr. Brady said:
Yeah, I actually like the tremoverb better. I've decided I'm selling the Mark IV. It's in the spam thread at HC. I just like the recto sound to much. I posted a thread with a clip of the tremoverb in blues mode taken with my digital camera. The recording quality isn't good but it gives you an idea of the tone. The clip is posted on this forum's soundclip section.

When it comes to Boogies, you definitely either like the Recto sound or the Mark sound. It's hard to find a good middle ground. If I had my choice I'd probably own both. Maybe someday.

Which do you like better, the Tremoverb or the Rectoverb? What's the difference?

UsrName said:
Mr. Brady said:

When it comes to Boogies, you definitely either like the Recto sound or the Mark sound. It's hard to find a good middle ground. If I had my choice I'd probably own both. Maybe someday.

Which do you like better, the Tremoverb or the Rectoverb? What's the difference?

The Tremoverb kickes the rectoverb's butt. Huge head room, good effects loop, 4 modes that clean up nicer with the volume on my guitar. The blues mode on the tremoverb is worth it just for that. The gain is very smooth with great cleans too. Plus it can do the recto sound like nobody's business or do mid gain and classic rock tones. It only has two channels so it looses that to the Mark IV, but It's so much easier to get a good sound out of it than the mark. I can pretty much adjust it on the fly with my volume knob or a few tweeks of the amps controls. If you check out my post in the Rigs and sound clips section of this forum I have a short clip up on the blues mode taken with my digital camera. The tone changes are done completely with my volume knob on my guitar plugged straight into the amp with no effects.

Back