Filter Cap Job in South Carolina

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdove

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a filter cap job on my '78 Mesa Boogie. I've been noticing volume drops every couple of months for the last year. It's very rare ... but considering some of the latest comments on filter caps ... maybe it's time.

I checked Mesa site ... no SC service centers ... 4 in GA and NC. Can anyone recommend one of these or an alternative in my area?

-Artronics 611 Valley Drive Durham NC 27704 (919) 479-1626
-Bakos Amp Works 474 Ponce De Leon Atlanta GA 30308 (404)607-8426
-CTG 2030 Powers Ferry Road Atlanta GA 30339 (404)352-3000
-Logical Sound 2620 Mountain Ind. Blvd. Tucker GA 30084 (770) 934-4887

Also: I've considered sending the amp to Mesa to have reverb installed. I wonder how much it would cost to have the reverb done and the caps checked/replaced?

Ken,

Knowing your ability, you could probably recap it yourself.
In most cases, Mesa does not do caps jobs unless you insist.
If you want the reverb, you might as well do a cap job while it' there.

Ed

I have to agree with BB (like always). if you sent it in for the reverb, just have em to a cap job while there in there

Do it yourself,I would imagine Mesa charges way too much,you could save yourself some $$$.If you know how to poke around inside an amp without killing your self,and can handle a soldering iron,it aint hard.

I think I've asked this before ... but it's been a while. Where's the best place to order high quality filter caps? Edit: Looks like that's being discussed in teh post I was reading earlier ... but I'm still not clear where the f&T source is ...

If I don't do the reverb, I could probably do the caps myself. I'd hate to be apart from the amp for a long time anyway. I've been playing this amp for almost 30 years now ... usually add the reverb after the speakers if the rooms not big enough ... via the PA.

Anyplace I could go to get teh procedure for dissipating the cap charge before starting? Don't want to kill myself! :roll:

I use two test leads with a 10K 5W resistor between the caps and ground and let it sit for 10 minutes. Once you get a 9V reading or so your good to go. Boogies filter most of the caps to ground when you turn them off, so they may be pretty low already.

Back