Fifty/fifty distorting

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojosteve

Reaction score
Hi, I have an old Boogie fifty/fifty power amp that I run a Triaxis and a modded Studio c+ into. Whenever I run the power amp past 3 it makes a bad trebble distorting sound. After a lot of messing with different settings a I took the amp to a local tech and he checked the scematics of the 50/50 compared to the 2;50 or 2;90 and he noticed that the 50/50 has more than 3 times the input level. I'm no expert so I cant give more technical info but I was wondering if anyone else has had a simillar issue with the 50/50.

Cheers
Steve

50/50 and 2:90 have the same input tube with the same polarization. Input volume is located before the tube on the 50/50, so if not turn all the way up you should have less gain with the input tube on the 50/50... Anyway the 50/50 should not saturate with the TA or SP. Running in Hi or Lo power mode ?

What's your setting on the TA ? How is the output volume knob turned ? 12 o'clock ?

The input tube on the 50/50 can be faulty, or another component maybe. Does the presence work fine ?

Thanks for the reply, I have the presence completely off, the tech said he could mod the 50/50 so that it would have the same input stage as the 2:50. I canged the input valve and the two PI valves and the amp still sounds the same. It just seems to clipp far too easy.

Steve

Hey again just to clarify I'm refering to the old fifty fifty poweramp not the newer 2:50.

Latest posts

Back