Fender speaker in a Mark lll

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Woogie Man

Reaction score
As my EV is away being re coned, I thought I'd try one of my Fender speakers that came from a 2 year old Fender Twin just for the hell of it.
It actually sounds really good, not in the league of the EV but surprisingly..very good.
As soon as the EV arrives home then it's straight back in but I am very surprised at the quality of this speaker through this amp, sounds much better than it did on the Twin.

Most people and maybe Boogie people more than most tend to stay with OEM speakers. There are many great speakers that are well worth experimenting with. I have spent a lot of time over the years trying many speakers, including most of the JBL, Electro Voice and Celestion offerings. I have also had Jensens and Webers. Changing speakers is IMO one of the easiest, least expensive and effective ways of customizing your tone. Here are a few great speakers that you might consider that I have used with MKI, II and III amps; JBL D & K series, EV FORCE, Altec 417-8H. Be careful with JBL D-120's though because they can only handle about 60 watts (They were OEM for very early Boogies and some MKI's though). Keeping in mind wattage match ups with different speaker/amp combinations and knowing it is possible to use speakers with lower ratings if you can keep the loudness level down, here are some other great speakers to try; Jensen C12N, Weber Blue Dog Ceramic, Celestion G12-65 (my favorite speaker). I still have some EVM's but currently, in my MKIIC+ Simul Class. I have an EV FORCE and I intend to try it out with the Rola Celestion G12-65 that I had in a MKIII red stripe Simul Class. I am not taking anything away from EVM's. I think they are a very good choice, especially if you have to play very loudly. Stage volumes for typical gigs is coming down and are much easier to make sound good through good PA systems when set right so you might find you can use lower volume settings and try many of the new speaker offerings to get sounds you might prefer.

I like to swap tubes too but I find that changing speakers generally makes a lot more difference.

ramalam said:
Most people and maybe Boogie people more than most tend to stay with OEM speakers. There are many great speakers that are well worth experimenting with. I have spent a lot of time over the years trying many speakers, including most of the JBL, Electro Voice and Celestion offerings. I have also had Jensens and Webers. Changing speakers is IMO one of the easiest, least expensive and effective ways of customizing your tone. Here are a few great speakers that you might consider that I have used with MKI, II and III amps; JBL D & K series, EV FORCE, Altec 417-8H. Be careful with JBL D-120's though because they can only handle about 60 watts (They were OEM for very early Boogies and some MKI's though). Keeping in mind wattage match ups with different speaker/amp combinations and knowing it is possible to use speakers with lower ratings if you can keep the loudness level down, here are some other great speakers to try; Jensen C12N, Weber Blue Dog Ceramic, Celestion G12-65 (my favorite speaker). I still have some EVM's but currently, in my MKIIC+ Simul Class. I have an EV FORCE and I intend to try it out with the Rola Celestion G12-65 that I had in a MKIII red stripe Simul Class. I am not taking anything away from EVM's. I think they are a very good choice, especially if you have to play very loudly. Stage volumes for typical gigs is coming down and are much easier to make sound good through good PA systems when set right so you might find you can use lower volume settings and try many of the new speaker offerings to get sounds you might prefer.

I like to swap tubes too but I find that changing speakers generally makes a lot more difference.

Not to hijack this thread, but tell me how you like the g12-65...I have been wanting to try some of them. I used to have them in marshalls in the 80's and liked them.

I also used them in Marshalls (JCM 800, 100 watt full stacks) in the early 80's but wasn't really that into speakers at the time and they belonged to a friend. About 5 years ago I got a 1983 JCM 800, 50 watt twin combo loaded with Rola Celestion G12-65's and they have been my favorite speaker ever since. I did a lot of listening to just about every popular speaker out there and for me they are the best all around speaker. Other speakers might be better in a single category but these seem to be good with every amp I have tried them in and in open back, closed back and detuned cabs. I like warm, thick speakers that go into a gradual, smooth compression and seem to get bigger, not just louder when cranked up. They aren't everyone's cup of tea and I like it that way. I have only had the original Rola Celestion versions form 1979 through 1983 and never tried the new Heritage series but everyone seems to like them. They are night and day different from EVMs because of having much more distortion and compression. I no longer play that loudly so in my situation they work well for me. I actually much prefer them in larger than Boogie Mark series amps but I prefer all speakers that way.

Latest posts

Back