fender replacement pickups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a fender mexican standard strat. The stock pickups buz and hum like crazy. Im to the point that i want new pickups. Any suggestions for pickups with medeim gain and twanggy tone. I was leaning towards hott rails. Any suggestions for noiseless singles or humbuckers

DiMarzio Area 58s kick ***. Dead silent and they sound beautiful. If you want a little hotter pickup like for the bridge position you could go an Area 61. These are my favorite Strat pickups.

Proper sounding hum-free strat pickups begin and end with Kinmans. Duncan, Dimarzio etc are all pretenders.

I use lace sensors (neck=blue, middle=gold) and a hot rails (bridge) in my strat and love them. i would say the hot rails is a little more than "medium gain" though..

I have some new-in-the-box Lace Sensor Holy Grails that I probably need to get rid of.

(Anyone) let me know if you're interested via PM.

I love EMG SA (active). Quiet as a mouse. These nail the Mark Knopfler / Dire Straights tone, and sound good on Hendrix & Blues stuff too. Add the EMG "fat control" (mid boost) in place of the second tone control and you get into humbucker territory with the twist of the knob.

Rocky said:
Proper sounding hum-free strat pickups begin and end with Kinmans. Duncan, Dimarzio etc are all pretenders.

You've played Area 58s and hated 'em or is this just based purely on your experience with Kinmans?

devilrob1979 said:
Rocky said:

You've played Area 58s and hated 'em or is this just based purely on your experience with Kinmans?

I have tried the Dimarzios....thought they sounded fake.

The Kinmans are better.

checked out the Kinman sight ,they sound awesome, only problem is for a complete set with k-7 or k-9 harness will cost you more than what you paid for the mexi strat

LAWRENCE

IF YOU WANT THE MORE PURIST STRAT TONE, GET THE 200'S...

IF YOU WANT A MORE UNIQUE SINGLE COIL SOUND, GET THE 280'S

that's what i use.

so much cheaper than the kinmans, it'll scare your credit rating.

I replaced the bridge pickup in my Strat with a Seymour Duncan Little '59 humbucker. The smaller type that fits in a single coil position. It eliminated most of the hum and noise associated with the stock pickup and it only took me about 15 minutes to swap out.

I have a EMG SA set with SPC circuit for sale as well as a set of NIB Fender Texas Specials for sale in the classifieds. EMGs are black covers. Texas Specials are white cover. Both sound good. EMGs are very quiet. Other than that, I've been using WCR SR single coils. Bit spendy but they sound awesome! Sorry for my shameless ad. :D

this guy will make you anything you want. great customer service and when i got the pickups, they sounded how i wanted them to sound

http://www.ocduffpickups.com/

i must have missed that noise cancellation was a prerequisite. i can say that i've never had noise issues with mine. then again, i don't use tons of gain. even still, i'd gladly sacrifice a little noise for superior tone. i've used quite a few different single coil pickups over my nearly 25 years of playing (getting old) and nothing has ever taken me by surprise like the fralins in my guitar. i can't remember the set model, but i DO remember that they're lindy's most vintage styled pickups, i.e.- no over-winding, high output, etc.

people seem to underrate low output pickups. the way i see it, it forces you to turn your (hopefully tube) amp up. and we all know what happens to the sound when you do that. need more output for leads? step on an o.d. or booster of some sort. idunno. works for me. we're all different though... thank god.

Tom Anderson makes noise-free strat pickups.

They are as good as any out there...but they have a certain look that some dont like.

blue1.jpg

I own a 57 reissue hot rod with the serial pup's- these pup's are really quiet. the two single coils have a SCN sign and the bridge humbucker in single coil size is from di marzio afaik.

really quiet, original fender and the belling strat tone - what else do i need?

Latest posts

Back