feedback like a *****

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylek

Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering what you guys do to prevent feedback in your rigs... a Feedback destroyer, noise gate? what?

Its not microphonics, its just from the fact that the stages we play on are incredibly small and I generally have to stand about 36" away from my rig at most times.

Thanks guys.

KYle

It feeds back when I pause during parts in songs, so putting it on the clean channel is not always feasible

ISP Decimator. Can you use one in a parallel effects loop though? MXR also just came out with a rack version of thier smart gate. Here is the link on Musicians Friend......http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M235-Smart-Gate-Pro?sku=151024. A little pricey but this is the same unit EVH is using right now. I wonder why the Boogies don't come equipped with a series loop?

kylek said:
Hey, I was just wondering what you guys do to prevent feedback in your rigs... a Feedback destroyer, noise gate? what?

Its not microphonics, its just from the fact that the stages we play on are incredibly small and I generally have to stand about 36" away from my rig at most times.

Thanks guys.

KYle

What amp are you playing?

What output volume level are you @?

What preamp volume are you @?

What pickups are you using?

I play a Triple and an SG with Dragon II's in it and I dont typically have issues with feed-back--Actually when I want feedback I have to max out an MXR Compressor and click it on to get the scream--sometimes Id like more but the volume levels that Id have to be @ are mostly un-do-able with 150 watts(I mostly play my output @ about 12 oclock and my lead channel master about 8-9 oclock). If your running a smaller amp you might get more watts and run it a little cooler. ?? What do you think? :wink:

I've read some good things about the ISP Decimator, try searching around here as there are a few users here I know have one... ibanez4life comes to mind :)

trendkill1168 said:
ISP Decimator. Can you use one in a parallel effects loop though?

+1 on the ISP !!!!! After you use it for one day, there is no other noise supressor. Not very effective in a parallel loop unless the return mix is wide open, but if all you are trying to do is kill the squealing when you stop playing get the pedal version and just run it into the amps front end. Its dead simple to use and takes about 5 minutes to find your set-it-and-forget-it setting where it wont kill the sustain of your clean channel, but mute the strings and your guitar is OFF...even at rediculous volume levels.

Definitely the ISP pedal version! My recto has the same problem when I'm too close! this pedal solves it all!

I usually use my pickup selector to the neck position with the volume off for that pickup. It is an old trick that is fun also to get that stutter effect. I guess I am just a little dated in playing style. If you do not like that option use your volume knob on your guitar. You can also turn yourself slightly. I usually mute my strings when I am not playing anything too. If it is truly feedback then lack of signal will get rid of it. I know how it is to need to use a high gain level that causes feedback. In recent years, I just don't use as much gain and use the pickup selector trick while muting. This is the cheapest solution and easiest to do without having to buy more gear that will in the end alter your tone.

I followed ibanez4life SZ! advice and purchased the isp in the pedal version. I too own a single rec and got tired of trying to use a rack system with the parallel loop. The ISP is amazing. Cuts all feedback and doesnt effect tone. Just turn the knob slowly until your feedback stops. I barely had to turn the knob at all and I have my gain maxed on modern setting. The pedal is awesome. GET IT!!!!!!

I'm sorry but I must admit, I can't stand the tone of an amp with the gain control maxed! And to have to use a noise supressor? It's just what it is, noise! Sorry for the rant, but I believe in using an amp sensibly, in it's usable range, to where the controls interact with eachother! The gain being maxed? C'mon! :shock:

I usually have the master at noon, the channel gain at less than noon ( because most of the shows we play the guitars aren't mic'd), and i have a gibson 498T and a PRS tremonti, both guitars feedback.

kylek said:
...the channel gain at less than noon...

IMO the gain already IS down (depending of course on the kinds of music you play). You're cranking the amp because its not mic'd and standing like three feet away from the cab if I recall the original post. Its a wonder the CLEAN channel doesn't squeal too!

The obvious fix here is to turn down your stage volume and mic the amp thru the PA. I assume if you had the gear to do this, you already would be. Just throw the ISP pedal in front of your amp and problem solved. Its less than $150, works like a champ, and does not suck tone. As your PA system grows (or you start playing bigger venues with house systems), the ISP will still be useful.

I lied about the channel gain, i was drinking and meant the channel VOLUME, lol The gain is at about 2:00-2:30 which is kinda high.

but i did just play an outside gig, and had her cranked on a big stage, and wow.... just wow.... it rattled my balls

mmmmmmmmmm mesa low end :lol:

I boost my mesa with a TS9 and still run my channel gain at around noon. The ISP is the way to go to stop it from feeding back.

Back