FEDEX is the new santa claus!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
Today FedEx dropped off this beauty:

Blackface/chrome chassis Dual Rectifier, Serial # 33X. She's a little beat up on the metal pieces with small bits of rust and what not, makes some scratchy noises when you turn the volume up some, but after my first fat Echord suddenly a new world opened up to my ears...HOLY MOTHER....

THIS IS TONE!!!!! I set all the eq's flat at 12oclock. It didn't need much else from there on! I realized that this amp has the perfect guitar EQ. Not too much of anything one thing where you have to nag to dial it out. And then talk about clarity! I never understood too well what was meant by this term when people would compare the 3ch vs. 2ch. Now I know. You hit any chord, ugly or pretty, any note, w/e you wish, and it's right there! Immediately, with no fuzz, no veil, no blanket on top. On my 3ch I'd have to turn the presence to like 3oclock to get something remotely close to this.

Biggest differences, besides above, that I noticed to my 2005 3ch...
-the clean sucked. i'd take my 3ch clean anyday of the week.
-Is it just me not being used to it, or does it have some less gain? I didn't put the gain up too much, only 12...
-the above might be answered by the fact that this thing cuts like a knife. There is no "nu-metal" boomy, over bassy sound, and this is thru my 4x12 oversized. At least maybe I don't know how to dial in that trademark recto sound yet on this one, but on my 3ch anything I dial in comes out being boomy. This thing instead reminds me of vintage Mark mesas, so far...very tight, in your face, but still says I'm a recto.
-another thing that made me smile....I only had my output master at 9!!!! I can only imagine what cranking this thing would be like! I can't wait! On my 3ch 9 sounds like mush. Then I gotta crank it to hell and people complain that the walls are shaking.

I do not mean to upset anyone by the above...I simply am in tone heaven and this is my outlet. If i explain to anyone else, they'd think I'm weird. I am in no way discrediting the 3ch, as I own one and still love it for the things it does in it's own right. The 3ch is by far more versatile and has a plethora of great tones found in EVERY mode/channel. This thing tho is simply amazing tone. It's so perfect I don't deserve it.

I gotta start cleaning her up some; looking forward to that. Also gotta get some pics up..image uploaders were being annoying today though..

In the mean time, who's got settings!!!!!???

I still haven't gotten a chance to try a 2 channel, but I hope to add one to my rig in the future...at 17, I'm very very happy with the 3 channel. and additional rig I have.....worked hard, but all worth it!

ME too Ibanez! I would love to have a 2-Channel to compliment my three channel in the future as well. Along with three more Recto cabs lol...... Great minds think alike (I'm 19) haha. Congrats Elpeltero! Look forward to seeing it!

-AJH

Well guys by those standards you're doing much better than I am...I have to admit im only 20 :oops: and there are others here that can kill me any day on guitar. i like to think i'm getting there though. I'm building my rig to last a lifetime. I figured if i had the money and time now why not go for it? Things only get harder later. Plus my band is at its best ever. Who knows when that'll happen again?

That's exactly how it was for me Elpelotero. I'm glad you've got it bro, nothing like owning something that once was only a dream. As for me, i'm very content with my three channel, couldn't be happier actually, and I really don't need another amp or the cabs (nor do i have anything remotely close to enough money for it!:lol:), but it's still in the future want category, lol. Plus, if I had four cabs, at half the venues we play at I would be the only one that would be able to fit on the stage hahaha! Congrats my friend, and keep it up, who knows what lies ahead for ya! Looking forward to some pics/clips

-AJH

That's why I'm getting all quality stuff now....exactly like said before...I'm building a rig that will last me as long as I need it!

The older we get, the more we will have to worry about OTHER than guitar (for those who live in the real world, but which one of us here do :D )

Now, I have little to no bills, so why not invest my money in something I love that will last forever?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
That's why I'm getting all quality stuff now....exactly like said before...I'm building a rig that will last me as long as I need it!

The older we get, the more we will have to worry about OTHER than guitar (for those who live in the real world, but which one of us here do :D )

Now, I have little to no bills, so why not invest my money in something I love that will last forever?

+1 on that bro

-AJH

I dig how they are almost negative images of each other...

I would like to say that you guys sure have a lot of money for your age to be buying such expensive amps. When I was your age I was pissing it away chasing the girls and partying. I did have a few amps and guitars through those years but nothing of any comparable significance. I still would like to have the pair though I am running out of room. I have a pair of Marshall fullstacks and an Ampeg fullstack in addition to my Mark IV.

I am slowly outgrowing my office (nice place to play....) I have to squeeze between the stacks, filing cabinets, a bookshelf, and my desk and chair just to get in there. Then, there is enough room to stand up and move around a little. I would keep my stuff in the livingroom but the ol lady thinks furniture makes more sense in there. I will be finding a larger office soon so then I can start the Recto acquisitions and maybe get a secretary. It would be nice to find a secretary that has a nice Recto.... :lol:

Russ said:
I dig how they are almost negative images of each other...

+1 That looks sick man!!! That's an awesome amp ( and a nice pair at that!)

EDIT: where can I get one of those TURQUISE JEWELS!!!!??? I love those things, saw one a Cyber-Twin in a store a while ago and have been looking for one ever since!

Russ, sounds like you've got quite a collection there! At least you're running out of room having amplifiers and not useless furniture, lol. The next time you get an amp I guess you could try and go on the idea that since the 4x12's are called "cabinets" you are actually buying furniture in a since lol! Awesome stuff my friend, and I hope you can enter the realm of 'Rectosis' soon!

-AJH

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I still haven't gotten a chance to try a 2 channel, but I hope to add one to my rig in the future...at 17, I'm very very happy with the 3 channel. and additional rig I have.....worked hard, but all worth it!
Me as well. Im 16 and I would love to add another mesa to my collection. RIght now the 3 channel versatility is what i need tbh. Btw great purchase Elpelotero! Im sure it will work out well. :D

Elpelotero said:
Today FedEx dropped off this beauty:

Blackface/chrome chassis Dual Rectifier, Serial # 33X. She's a little beat up on the metal pieces with small bits of rust and what not, makes some scratchy noises when you turn the volume up some, but after my first fat Echord suddenly a new world opened up to my ears...HOLY MOTHER....

THIS IS TONE!!!!! I set all the eq's flat at 12oclock. It didn't need much else from there on! I realized that this amp has the perfect guitar EQ. Not too much of anything one thing where you have to nag to dial it out. And then talk about clarity! I never understood too well what was meant by this term when people would compare the 3ch vs. 2ch. Now I know. You hit any chord, ugly or pretty, any note, w/e you wish, and it's right there! Immediately, with no fuzz, no veil, no blanket on top. On my 3ch I'd have to turn the presence to like 3oclock to get something remotely close to this.

Biggest differences, besides above, that I noticed to my 2005 3ch...
-the clean sucked. i'd take my 3ch clean anyday of the week.
-Is it just me not being used to it, or does it have some less gain? I didn't put the gain up too much, only 12...
-the above might be answered by the fact that this thing cuts like a knife. There is no "nu-metal" boomy, over bassy sound, and this is thru my 4x12 oversized. At least maybe I don't know how to dial in that trademark recto sound yet on this one, but on my 3ch anything I dial in comes out being boomy. This thing instead reminds me of vintage Mark mesas, so far...very tight, in your face, but still says I'm a recto.
-another thing that made me smile....I only had my output master at 9!!!! I can only imagine what cranking this thing would be like! I can't wait! On my 3ch 9 sounds like mush. Then I gotta crank it to hell and people complain that the walls are shaking.

I do not mean to upset anyone by the above...I simply am in tone heaven and this is my outlet. If i explain to anyone else, they'd think I'm weird. I am in no way discrediting the 3ch, as I own one and still love it for the things it does in it's own right. The 3ch is by far more versatile and has a plethora of great tones found in EVERY mode/channel. This thing tho is simply amazing tone. It's so perfect I don't deserve it.

I gotta start cleaning her up some; looking forward to that. Also gotta get some pics up..image uploaders were being annoying today though..

In the mean time, who's got settings!!!!!???

That is one of the chosen few Darth Vader versions. They are a cut above the rest. Now, if you only had the original hang tag and original owners manual. I have an original owners manual and it says to run your cleans in Red mode for a better signal to noise ratio. I swear that thing has the fattest, sweetest recto tone of any later version. It us a gain beast.
Clean the transformers with brake cleaner and coat them with schellac.
I used Dunlop guitar polish to get all of the smudges off, but do not use anything stronger as it may take off the lettering.

If I get my scanner up I will get you a copy of the original owners manual. It is a small pamphlet that explains this amp differently from the later versions. I bet it is a 6-/ or 92 and was teched by Mike Bendinelli. We need some gut shots and the circuit biard revision.

Keep in touch and I will get you a copy.

Rock on El... :D

Oh, you and 498 people are in the club. There is a gutted one on E-Bay.

All that and the Yankee Clipper. Joltin' Joe from San Francisco. Too bad his brother Tony was better than him and Dom sucked.

That pamphlet sounds sweet. I'd really appreciate that, especially as I cant figure out how the heck to change b/w clean, vintage, and modern. I'm too spoiled by the 3ch controls.

Dude... now your just showin' off! :lol:

Seriously nice. I do hope the chrome cleans up.

Congrats!!!

Changing the channels to Modern/Vintage is on the back left of the amp. It's the silver toggle switch and the two black switches, just read what it says. Should be kinda self-explanatory, although I know it is worded a little bit wierd lol. Good luck bud.

-AJH

after playing around some more today...some more observations and opinions for anyone interested...

It is painfully obvious for me that randall smith is a very smart man. you may disagree somehow, but he is smart because he's a good businessman. He stayed ahead/with the changing times and was thus able to make the rectifier a brand that wouldn't die out. The old 2ch was voiced perfectly for its time...that early 90s time when big metal was just going out and you had the wave of alternative rock. He saw that people in the late 90s loved their gain, so he voiced the 3ch to allow for this, hence the slightly bassy, muddy character. Suppose that in the next 5 years people dial out the gain knob, i wouldn't be surprised to see a new different amp.

So in conclusion, when people ask why is the 3ch diff sounding from the 2, i'll just say because RS is a businessman first. Very similar sounds, just w. a different voicing. But man is the old f**** sweet!!! :D

Latest posts

Back