Favorite SMALL Boogies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicMassUnit

Reaction score
I need a small boogie and want some recommendations. Something along the lines of Subway Rockets, studio caliber, .22 caliber, etc. I'm not sure of all the small amps they made, but I need something lightweight for low volume stuff. I don't need anything with tons of gain or reverb, just a good little rock amp. I'll include f-30s in here too, even though its in the wrong forum, but make me some suggestions!

I think a Lone Star Special is a great lower volume amp for small to medium gigs, it cost a lot, but all boogies cost alot.

I actually already have the LSS, and a MK3. Just looking for something smaller, lighter, more portable.

I think then your in the subway combo, or the blue angle combo maybe the 1x12 maverick. I don't think they make these anymore. This is a different MFG but for the price, I really liked the Vox AC15 1x12 it's small and light and the tone is great IMHO all for $500

Studio .22 if you can find one with the graphic eq, and in good condition - these amps are awesome. Alternatively, look at the DC-3. Also a spectacular sounding rock amp with a tiny footprint. Both are workhorses and perfect for small to medium size rooms unmiked. As an added bonus, either of these two, if hooked up to a quad box, will rip your face off - if that's your thing. The ultimate in versatility, reliability and playability. Both are like Voxes on steroids - voiced a bit differently, but they chime real nice.

That's my $0.02.

I like Sudio .22+ w/ 5 band EQ. The 5 band EQ like an Mark Series w/ 5 band EQ you could dramatically change the tone of the amp.

I kinda re-discover my Studio .22+ because in the past I would use it occassionally but now that I'm getting older, I cherish my hearing, and I notice w/ smaller amps, you could crank them up, and they sound great where larger amps you have to play them at insane volume to get them to sound good.

I change the Black Shadow Vintage speaker (likely Eminence) w/ Tone Tubby (ceramic). I would have got the alnico, but I would use for different applications. It compresses. I need some top end shred which ceramic magnet speaker gives me.

I'll report back when I try different preamp tube combinations with the V1 and V2 (12AX7s, 12AYs, 5751s) :D

Do yourself a favor and either order a Mark I Reissue or find a used one. You won't regret it. It's so versatile and portable though it weighs a ton as it should - it's a BOOGIE.

Boogieman said:
Other than the Studio 22, how about the Satellite?
But is it a good sounding stand-alone guitar amp? I always thought Satellites was for stereo use taking the signal out (left or right) from digital delay unit. Or taking signal line-out from your amp.

My first Boogie was a Studio .22 with the five band EQ that was a great little amp and it was pretty light (Boogie weight). I sold it to upgrade but I still miss that amp. Like allot of amp’s not just Boogie they all have their own magic. I also had a Subway rocket that amp is basic as you get but there again two channels of magic!

I played the studio 22 back in the day and loved it. I assumed I would love the DC5 even more, I was wrong. Should have gotten the Studio 22.

Latest posts

Back