favorite cables for use with Mark III/IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuna141

Reaction score
Warning: I thought the Planet Waves cables were great too, until I had them for a while. I like the features that these cables have, but they also have a big negative - crappy shield noise. I can hear a noise through my amp's speaker everytime I move the cable. It's kind of a "crunching sound" and very audible. I've noticed this problem on all of the Planet Wave cables that I have, and it is prevalent on all of my amps. I don't know for sure if it was always there and I never noticed it, or it has gotten worse over time. I believe the latter is true.

My cables are pretty long (~20ft), and I'm sure that doesn't help things, but I think these cables have an inherent desin flaw. I have had these cables for a few years, so maybe they fixed this problem.

I just wanted to make you aware of my experience.

Hi.
I've tried all the 'major' high end (expensive) cables. Monster by far was the worst.
Now Planet Waves....man, I heard the difference right away. Honestly. You know the cliche...like taking a blanket off of your amp. That's what it was. It's all I use. My pedal board, midi cables and all my rack cables are PW's. In 4 years I've never had one go down on me. Never. As cool as George L's are I was always replacing cable. Never with the PW's. Mostly though...they sound great.

As I mentioned, Planet Waves may have fixed the problem I had with my cables, or it was simply a bad batch, or the break occured over time. The noise I described occurs on all 3 of the Planet Waves I have and with all of my amps & guitars. All I can do is comment on my personal experience.

BTW - my cables are about 5 years old.

You guys got me thinking that maybe Planet Waves improved their design since I purchased my cables. So I went to Musician's Friend to see what Planet Waves model they offered. The cable in the photo on their website looks like the ones I have. So, I looked further down the page and started reading the reviews. There was another guy that noticed the same crackling/crunching sound as me. Here's the link (the review is about 2/3 the way down the page):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-GoldPlated-14-Straight-Instrument-Cable?sku=336090

Don't get me wrong, I like just about everything about these cables (thick cable, good strain-relief, decent connectors, attached cable clips, etc.), except that they have this "crackling" issue when you move them.

I did notice that the page mentions something about a limited lifetime warranty, so I'm going to look into that - the word "limited", scares me, though... :roll:

Stevie Ray liked the cheap Radio Shack type coiled cables as did Hendrix.
Cesar Carrillo Diaz had Stevie try some Monster guitar cables and Stevie told him to go and get his old kind. Carlos thought that maybe it acted as a High frequency filter for them. Anyway they hated the "Great " guitar cables :?:

And I like Monster Cables for the high impedance stuff (speaker)

My pedalboards and wired up with George L's.

My instrument cables are Monster.

Hi,
I would 100% recommend Pete Cornish cables. The ultimate quality and service for a very reasonable price. Check out petecornish.co.uk.

I've used them for years and they are as close to perfect as I've heard.

Thanks

Ed

i've got all mogami's (instrument, loop, patches) except the speaker cable for my ext cab is planet waves. i bought the mogami's because i got hooked up, after discount they were the same price as livewires. i love them, but since it's all i have right now i couldn't really say whether they make a difference.

Back