Fathom Availability

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have the Fathom in our studios for testing right now.

I can only really compare it to the Titan Big Block V12 that we reviewed a few months ago... and by comparing, I'd say there is no comparison.

The Fathom has a good sound and some nice features, and a killer price, but but it would be like comparing the Mesa/Boogie Express with a Road King... both sound good, but one is a vastly more capable beast.

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/bass/2007/0907_MesaBoogie_TitanV12.php in case you'd like to read the other review.

Regards,

Scott

Just picked mine up. I have the 2X12 Combo, absolutely amazing! Wouldn't expect anything less though. A little awkward to carry up stairs, but what isn't? I play Warwick Passive Pick Up Basses, and this gives me the tone I want. Plenty of Power, Clear as all, and just fills the room! Highly recommended! I like a Bubbly Thumpy tone, but this amp can do the high end too. Great range for whatever your preference! Also, not to mention, it took 5 minutes to dial in what I wanted, controls are easy, and do what you want them to. The voicing switch is very cool as well, and then you can fine tune with the EQ. DI out is cool too, you can bypass the amp, or run it post EQ to the board. Buy One! You will not be disappointed!

I find it odd that you picked up a Fathom since the amp IS NOT BEING RELEASED UNDER THAT NAME.

The amps will be shipping shortly under a new name, which is part of why we have delayed publishing our in-depth review.

So if you really do have a Fathom, you should probably tell folks on the Boogie board how you came to possess an amp that is never going to ship under that name. :p

UNLESS, of course, you picked up the Titan BIG Block, in which case, you rock with one of the most amazing sounding bass amps EVER! :) I suspect this is the case because I don't think the Fathom will be available in a 212.

Scott

Well, that is what it says on it. Here are some pics. I bought it at Rainbow Music in State College PA.

[/img]

This is serial #000072. I was unaware I had such a rare amp? I just liked it and bought it. Paid $1,399. Maybe they did a limited releases? I have no idea, all I can say is that whatever this amp is, I love it!

Wow. They were one of the few dealers who got probably a single unit allocated to them before production was interrupted.

It's now called the M6 Carbine.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/carbine/index.html

The short story of the name change appears in the first two lines of the web page... :p

cwm11976 said:
This is serial #000072. I was unaware I had such a rare amp? ... Maybe they did a limited releases?

No such luck. Renaming the product avoided a costly trademark dispute law suit. But it took a while to re-badge the existing units, create new marketing materials, etc... so you do in fact have one of the first units out the door, and the "new" amp is just now getting back into the dealer channels. But there's nothing else "special" other than the fact that when you go to sell it, there will be no mistaking the fact that you have one of the oldest production units, and you'll have to explain to some people that it's the same amp with a funny name.

Guess I will just die with it! Thanks for the info! So anyway, go buy the Carbonite for that matter!

Yeah, I think it is pretty cool, may be a down side for some, but I like misprinted Baseball Cards, Fender Splatocasters, and Mesa Boogie Amps that nobody else will ever have! Did I mention how much this amp rocks? The way it fills a room without cranking the decibels is amazing. I am a low thumpy tone guy, as I mentioned prior, and this thing is warm on the low B string and clear as a bell, and then as you climb up the scale, the highs punch out at you. Range beyond range! I love it, first gig is Saturday with this, and what I am most looking forward to is the bypass for the DI. My stage tone is always too bassy through the PA, so as the manual states, I can pop the knob for the DI level out, and send the Signal from the Bass right to the board. Not sure if it will sound good, so I will have to experiment, but I like having the option. OK, done singing the praises for today, I will update after the gig to let everyone know how it performed, but I am sure we all know what the answer will be!

MY dad just got a Fathom the dealer said it was the last new one they would be getting under that name. THe Serial was a bunch of zeros and then 123 at the end so these things are brand new?

Yes, they are brand new. They are a little bit hard to get, but you should be able to find one under the Carbine Name.

Hello, I just "Joined" after recently converting back to Mesa...... I've owned M-Pulse 600's and played Big Block 750..... But was never really happy...... so I moved on to other makers. This week I bought a Fathom, (I know.... they changed the name to M6 Carbine), but mine's Fathom #200. And it's my favorite Mesa head ever. I love a warm, round tone.... Not too mushy like the M-Pulse can be, but just enough tube color to warm it up a bit. Then..... Huge clean power, in a simple rack setup, with easy EQ options. I know lots of you don't agree.... and that's fine, but I wanted to say that for me... The new Fathom/Carbine into an Epifani UL-4X10 cabinet, with a Lakland 55-94, is a very nice thing. And, having most recently played high-end SS heads...... This certainly does not sound SS to me! Anyway, to each his own..... I just wanted to stick up for this amp! I think it's a keeper.

Latest posts

Back