fan power outlet on MKIV ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
I'd like to run my efects power off of the outlet in the MKIV that powers the fan in the MKIV. Is the fan 120volts or something else?

thats a 117v fan? or does it just have no amp's to make it a ver large current...? computer fan's are 12v and normal amp's are 12 v ...aren't they?..

I just picked up a replacement for my combo cabinet that was a Radio Shack special. It runs at normal household current. It seems to be working fine. It is slightly louder than the original that I have in my head case but once you are playing you never hear it besides it pumps out more air anyway. I am thinking that any fan that works on household current is fine provided it doesn't have any heavy amp draw to start. Once it is spinning it doesn't draw as many amps. The Radio Shack fan cools the amp better and is much cheaper than using the original that you would get from Mesa. The only thing that you have to do is splice a cord onto it. I just used a $2 extension cord that I cut the female end off of. The total cost with the fan and the cord was less than $10. I think that Mesa charges around $25 for theirs plus shipping. It is the same size and everything except it just puts out more air and is slightly louder while you are not playing. I think that is because it either has a different blade pitch or is just spinning faster. I took the stupid sticker off and it looks identical to the fan in my head case. I think that the normal price for the fan is about $15. I got mine on clearance because the store location was closing.

I am assuming that the amp's receptacle will handle 125 volts as many household currents will vary upwards of 125 volts. It would make sense that the receptacle is in no way regulated because you would want to keep the costs down on the power outlet and it is as simple as running jumper wires to it from the main power cord where it comes into the amp. This would allow for easy replacement and low cost production. Being that it is a grounded outlet it would also only make sense to use the common ground of the wall outlet in both the amp and its receptacle. I am only making simple deductive reasoning assumptions as I have some electronics and electrical background and I am also a business owner that can appreciate simple assembly and repair.

I almost forgot...

Shep, the fan I got was for somewhere between 110 and 120 volts. I cannot remember exactly. So, yes, the fan is made for that much current. Computer fans run on very little current. Sometimes they run on as little as 3 volts. It is just a matter of the electronic component being matched for the specific duty. In this case, Mesa chose to use a fan that ran on the same power as the amp. The industrial fans are actually heavier duty than the little computer cooling fans and typically last longer. The only drawback is the added weight. It would suck if your little computer fan that was wired to the PCB fried or fried the board. In this application, you just replace the fan if it quits. If you had a low voltage fan you would have voltage regulators and stuff that would increase the cost of your amp only to help it find yet another way to break. Then the replacement would take a little more skill to unsolder and resolder your fan or even replace your PCB and/or other circuits nearby. The nice thing about using a larger fan and power source is that the wiring is easier to work with because it is larger too. Mine was spliced and soldered and shrinkwrapped together for a nice neat package that still fit in the fan housing. Those little wires of a low voltage fan can be a little more difficult to work with. I hate having to deal with those smaller than 20 gauge wires especially the solid ones. It is too easy to break one or not get a good connection. At least with a nice sized braided wire you know you are getting positive connections.

cool..thanks that make's sence..i just couldnt imagine the size of the copper blinding's for the fan motor being that small..

Back