F-50, what cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pau_leader

Reaction score
Hey guys. Sorry for all these posts. I am just excited about this forum.

Anyway what cabs have you guys used with the F-50?

4x12? 2x12? differances in tone? Thanks :D

Also, I have the F-50 combo.

i have an f 50 head. i play it thru a galien kruger 4x12 cabinet loaded with celestions. its extremely powerfull. can barely put the amp past 9 oclock. if i do my other guitarist is drowned out and everybodys pissed at me.

I have used 2 different cabs with my F-50. Both are home-built cabs. The one I've had the longest is built to the Mesa 1x12 Recto cab specs and is equipped with a V30...and while I generally run the amp through both the internal C90 and the external V30, I prefer the C90 and that's the speaker I mic for recording or performance.

More recently I built a 2x12 cab with a V30 and G12H30 paired together...currently it is open-backed, but I plan to mod it so that it can be closed if desired. But this cab sounds awesome with the F-50 for clean and mildy overdriven sounds...and if you get far enough away from it to really let the two speakers meld together, it sounds great even for high gain. After playing through this cab, going back to a 1x12 really sounds one-dimensional!! The problem is how to mic the cab if necessary...either speaker by itself is decidedly less satisfying, so you either mic both, or you do some sort of distant mic setup.

The V30 really emphasizes the midrange (which is almost too honky by itself for my tastes) and the H30 has lots of bottom end and highs, too. (One interesting discovery was the H30 by itself was NOT cool with the F50 at high gain...that really fizzy top end that is unique to Mesa really sounded harsh with this speaker...the response curve of both the V30 and C90 do a much better job of taming that...though using a beam blocker of some sort does help the H30 in that respect.) Anyway, this particular 2x12 really gives me a lot more bottom end than the C90, and it doesn't fall apart. So I find it interesting that while I would never choose either speaker by itself with this particular amp, together they're the bomb!

I actually built the 2x12 cab to use with a custom made 18W Plexi style tube amp that I hope to have in my hot little hands here in another week or so, but turns out it sings with the F50 as well!!

Never tried a 4x12, but would like to sometime.

pau_leader said:
Anyone ever use the Marshall 1960b 4x12 with the F-50?

close, Ive run the marshall 1960a (angled version) w/ a F100.

For the lead ch. I love it. At least when Im playing super high gain metal tone type stuff. I prefer v30s for cleans and mild gain sounds though.

I played the F50 through a mesa 2 x 12 recto. It was a huge sounding cab. Almost too huge sounding, especially with the contour mode. If your a metal guy, you will like the low end of that cab.

The mesa cabs tend to have a darker tone. The v30's weren't harsh sounding at all. The low end sometimes got a little sloppy. I prefer the custom 90 (classic lead 80), because it is a tighter, cleaner sounding speaker. Since the F50 is already a "fat," sounding amp, it really doesn't need more speaker distortion. The V30 will only make it "fatter."

The 2 x 12 was insanely loud! The f50 is a loud amp. You have to crank to at least 9 o clock to get a decent balance between pre amp & power amp distortion. If you plan to gig in large venues, the 2 x 12 will work for you. But, if you are doing home recording or playing small venues, then a 1 x 12 may be the best option.

Latest posts

Back