F-30 vs DC-3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrik

Reaction score
I'm looking for an combo amp that can do blues, classic rock, hard rock and metal, but nothing too brutal.

I can get the DC-3 used for 650 CAD, and the F-30 new for 1115 CAD.

Obviously the DC-3 is much cheaper, but would it be worth it to use more cash and get the F-30 or is the DC-3 better?

I play at bedroom-low volumes most of time, so which amp does low volumes better?

DC-3, because it has an extra stage of volume control (the output level knob), and the graphic EQ. Its also got tube reverb, the F-30s is solid-state. The DC is just a much better amp all round and if its half the price its absolutely no contest. You can also bring the power down lower than the F-30 by pulling two power tubes.

Are you only looking to buy local? The reason I ask is that the F-30 is sold
pretty regularly on Ebay in the $6-700 USD range. I'll be honest in saying I prefer newer amps because of the potential for abuse. In 10-15 years of regular gigging, you know somebody has spilled something on it , dropped the amp, poked a speaker, etc. Not to mention, regardless of how it's described, an older amp usually looks like crap also.
That being said, I also can't see how the DC-3 could be that much better than an F-30. if at all. The F-30 is a VERY nice amp with very natural sounding distortion and really nice cleans. I'm sure the DC-3 is a nice amp and if price is an issue, go for it. But there is something to be said for a new (or newer) amp that's still in the Mesa production line.
**disclaimer.....I've tried older Mesa amps and am biased to the newer sound in the current lineup (except for the Maverick 8) ). This is just my opinion and others will tell you differently.

electrik said:
I'm looking for an combo amp that can do blues, classic rock, hard rock and metal, but nothing too brutal.

I can get the DC-3 used for 650 CAD, and the F-30 new for 1115 CAD.

Obviously the DC-3 is much cheaper, but would it be worth it to use more cash and get the F-30 or is the DC-3 better?

I play at bedroom-low volumes most of time, so which amp does low volumes better?

If the condition of the DC-3 is good I would go for it. In my opinion the F series amps are decontented Dual Calibers. I beleive that the DCs became too expensive to build so Mesa removed some of the features and tweaked the lead channel. Then the F series was born. You will be happier with the DC-3 if you are playing all the genre that you mentioned. The DC is much better for blues with the pushed clean channel. IMHO

Electrik,
now I had a DC3 in my possession about two years ago. I liked the dirty channel but didn't care for the clean channel (too middy). The F-50 I now have has a real nice clean channel and all I need for the dirty channel with and without the contour mode.

Now, I'd think you'd be able to get earlier break up in the F-30; since it has 2 versus the DC3's 4 output tubes. For blues, earlier breakup would be beneficial. Though, a power soak of some kind would still be nice for 'bedroom levels'.

If you have doubts about buying used (that DC3 has to be at least 5 -6 years old and I have to agree with TheRazMeister on his point); then save up for the F-30.

happy shopping!
N-50

Back