Extreme GEQ Settings Question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I brought this .50 Caliber + back to life. It was in decent shape, but really dirty and not working very well.

I replaced the filter caps, cleaned everything, replaced a couple of LDR's and re-soldered quite a few connections. Probably had to do some other stuff as well, but I haven't had my coffee yet.
Oh yeah! I came up with a really great Master Volume/Presence mod that I would be happy to pass along if anybody wants to hear about it!

I gave it a good 6 hour workout, then sent it back to New York.

Anyway, the guy gets it back and loves it until.....
He tries extreme settings on his GEQ on the Clean channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuy4SOxTOcE

I don't have an amp with a GEQ anymore, so I can't try these settings out for myself.
I had him clean the sliders and replace V5. If this is not normal behavior, I'm thinking he has a bad slider in his EQ, but can't be sure.
It worked very well when it was here, but I used moderate settings for lead boost, the classic V setting and a reverse V setting. None of them produced this noise!

Anybody have any ideas?????

other than the slider issue, the amp is fantastic. thanks andy
i just wish i could turn it up past "living room" levels

Right at the end of the video it's very telling. It sounds like something is loading up and discharging, versus at the beginning when he moves individual sliders and there is no noise. I wonder if you set an EQ position and defeat the EQ then turn it on if it will still make the noise?

SonicProvocateur said:
Right at the end of the video it's very telling. It sounds like something is loading up and discharging, versus at the beginning when he moves individual sliders and there is no noise. I wonder if you set an EQ position and defeat the EQ then turn it on if it will still make the noise?

ok, like setting a g-eq position that makes the noise. then turn of geq and turn back on again. let me try that out

edit: nope, still get the cracklies

you know...
i get such a good tone, either in Channel-1, or channel-2, without the G-eq
i hope Andy at Monsta-Tone is still tending to Mesa Amplifiers
despite his move to Washington State

Monsta-Tone said:
:D I'm just getting set up!

Did you get your EQ issue figured out?

you know, my 50-cal+ sounds so good now, with the G-eq disengaged, that i don't even need it anymore.

if the next owner of this amp wants to take it to another tech, i'll be sure to pass along your info.

where in WA are you?

Well, you can always do what I do on my non-GEQ Mark III and run an EQ pedal in the loop! (MXR gets the best tone btw, since its a 6 band circuit and closest to the stock 5 band)

It does really wake up the tone. Glad you're enjoying your Mesa though!

Latest posts

Back