External switches, MIDI and multi-fx

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpe

Reaction score
Hi,

On the back of my Dual Rectifier Solo Head are some external switch contacts. The manual doesn't say too much about what can be done with this external switches.
1. Do these external switches mean that it supports MIDI? If not... what does it mean?
2. What I want is that with one press on a MIDI-pedal a multi-fx switches to the right patch and in the same time my Recto switches to the right channel. I'm thinking about buying a Rocktron Intellifex or an Xpression. Is it possible to make this work with this equipment?

Thanks for the answers.

Best regards,

Maarten.

Basically, the external switching jacks are for use with relays. This doesn't mean MIDI, but it does mean that you can integrate MIDI into your setup. Allow me to explain...

When I ran my 3ch (it's a little less complicated now I have a 2ch, with only 2 external switching jacks on the back of the 2ch) I ran a Y cable from my G-Major's remote switching jack on the back, into the external jacks of channels 1 and 3 on the Recto. This way, when both relays were deactivated or "closed", the amp defaulted to channel 2. I can't remember which way round it is, but when one of the relays is open, it goes to either the green/red channel, aswell as when both relays are open, it switches to the 3rd channel. So as you can see, you can switch between the channels that way, using the G-Major controlled by a MIDI pedal.
Which brings me to my MIDI pedal. I currently use a Behringer FCB1010, and while it isn't great, it saves me forking out on a specific relay switcher for now, as it has 2 relays on it itself. I ran 2 leads from the back of the pedal into the FX loop and Solo jacks. That way I could switch those in and out with the MIDI board too.
So in summery, with one button press, I could go from clean with the FX loop engaged, with the g-major providing some chorus and delay to the red channel, completely dry. One more button press, and I could be on the orange channel, with the fx loop and solo feature engaged, with the same button press having switched on a delay from the G-Major.

I hope this makes sense. It could have probably been said in a far simpler way!

Thanks for your answer, Random Hero. This makes things a lot clearer to me!

How did that G-major function in combination with the 3ch Rectifier head? I'm wondering because I read some messages about the G-major that are not very possitive because of the tonesuck that you seem to get for free.

Someone who can tell me if the setting described by The Random hero is possible with the Rocktron Intellifex of Xpression?

mpe said:
Thanks for your answer, Random Hero. This makes things a lot clearer to me!

How did that G-major function in combination with the 3ch Rectifier head? I'm wondering because I read some messages about the G-major that are not very possitive because of the tonesuck that you seem to get for free.

Someone who can tell me if the setting described by The Random hero is possible with the Rocktron Intellifex of Xpression?

I had a little trouble with it at first, but there as a KillDry feature that they have now, which kills the dry signal you get with a parallel loop, but I found that to be a PITA. Once I got the levels set perfectly, it worked fine.

Since I got my 2ch, I have had none of those problems with the loop, at all.

I use a G-Major in the loop of my 3Ch Triple. It sounds fine, but you do have to be careful with the settings. As far as tonesuck, well, as long as you're not underdriving or overdriving it, I haven't noticed any.

(Now someone will come along and say that the G-Major is a *proven* tonesucker, so I tried a little test: I put a relay switcher in the loop, so the loop stayed on but the G-Major was taken completely out of the circuit. The difference was negligible with it on and off; obviously, it alters the tone very slightly - anything put there would - but it's so minor most people would never notice.)

I use an older Rocktron Intellifex in the loop with my 3ch DR.

For switching I use the older Ground Control floor switch and a Rocktron PatchMate.

I tend to use only a couple of patches on the Intellifex so most of the time I just use the Mesa FS.

What I like about the GC MIDI FS is it allows me to hook an Ernie Ball volume pedal up to the Intellifex to do continuous controller over various parameters like effect level, time, etc. It makes it more usefull than just turning the effect on and off.

I use a Ground Control Pro and GCX, as suggested by a Mesa tech, to control my Road King and outboard gear via the external switches and it works perfectly. I've never had a problem with it and it's quite easy to setup and program. I also use a Rocktron Xpression with it, as well. It's the best sounding multi-effects unit I've ever used at any price... in my own humble opinion, of course, and I tried ALOT of em' to find one compatible with the RK.

Check out this thread over at HCAF for a wealth of information on integrating an analogue amp into a MIDI switched rig. I do it with my F-50 and my G-Major, and I couldn't go back to a less controllable set up. 8)

The G-Major makes it easy, because it has two in built relays for external switching. Unfortunately neither the Xpression nor the Intellifex have in built relays, but I believe the old Replifex did. You can of course work around the Xpression/Intellifex lack of external switching by using another device with built in relays. The Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller has two, and there are dedicated switching products from companies such as Voodoo Labs (the GCX unit), Axess Electronics (e.g. CFX4), Nobels and Amp Gizmo. Feel free to ask if you have any questions, :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

Latest posts

Back