Extension cab recomendation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm

Reaction score
Looking to add a 1x12 extension cab to my Mesa Express 5:25 1x10. SHould I stick with a Boogie cab? What about an Avatar? Suggestions appreciated.

rdm, I own a 5:50 and purchased the Express 1x12 extension cabinet. I think t sounds great. I looked at all the other Mesa extension cabs and settled on the stock Black Shadow speaker with an open back. I've been covering up the remainder of the back to experiment. TBH, it sounds good to me as it is.

The Mesa cabs definitely have unmatched sound quality........ but you pay for it.

I have to say I dont think the Eminence Black Shadows are any where near as special as the Celestion Black Shadows were. Eminence dropped the ball on this contract. But the Mesa cabs have top shelf sound, no doubt.

You can get a used cab (a used combo amp that is broke, just to get the cab, or a used p.a. cab and gut it, etc) and put your own choice of speaker in it, and spend half the money.

I gutted an old yamaha p.a. cab and put a 15 inch Michigan in it, awesome sound. Same thing with an old Peavey 2-way vertical p.a. cab, gutted it and left the holes open for ports, and put a EVM12L in it, sounds great.

Nice thing is you can switch out speakers without tearing up a nice Mesa cab. Add a jack, put in a 16 ohm speaker, and run it in parallel with your Mesa, etc....

rdm said:
Looking to add a 1x12 extension cab to my Mesa Express 5:25 1x10. SHould I stick with a Boogie cab? What about an Avatar? Suggestions appreciated.
I used an Avatar 2x12 with my Express and I loved it. Their service is also excellent. I decided to go with an Avatar with my Mark V as well, and I am very pleased with it. I guess in a perfect world if I had the $$$ just lying around, I would go with the matching Boogie cab. Having said that, the Avatar cabs sound fantastic too and are obviously much less money. I think you will be happy with either one, best of luck to you.

Back