Extension Cab or not?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusWillaby

Reaction score
I've got a 1x12 LSC and I'm thinking of adding another 1x12 extension cab. Any suggestions and what should I expect? I didn't find the 2x12 combo to be as focused in the bottom end as the 1x12 but I've hears this has something to do with the size of the box itself.

Yeah, there is a cancellation thing going on in the 2x12. I can live with it though. :lol: I believe just about any combo in conjunction with an ext cab is going to be pleasing to the ears. I like a closed back with my combo. Adds more punch and tighter bottom end.

Will I get this phase cancellation with an extension cab? Will sharing the ohmage between cabs loosen the tone? Not sure if my question makes any sense? Thanks for your help, Marc

I'll PIGgy back onto this topic.(No pun intended). :) I just got a LSC head with a matching 1x12 Lone Star cab. This sounds pretty much the same as the 1x12 combo. I was thinking about adding a Stiletto 1x12 which has a V30 and a closed back. Anybody try this combination of speaker cabs with the LSC? Like Marc mentioned, I am also curious about phase cancellation when running the two cabs.

Phase cancellation is going to occur any time you have 2 or more speakers. But it doesn't stop people from playing with multiple speakers. I always use 2 cabs on my 2 different rigs. I get a tighter low end, a bigger sound with more coverage. On my Pig rig I use a stack, having the speakers vertical so close together makes it so side to side movement reveals no change in the sound, minimizing the cancellation effect. Michell donuts help also to minimize on axis directivity. making my rig the best I've heard for equal sound dispersion to all areas in and around the stage.

On my other rig, I put one cab on each side of the drums, so both sides of the stage can hear me. Bass, singer etc. Now that set up has a zone of cancellation that probably I alone notice, standing right in the middle. But the guys in the band love the sound, and we get a great mix in my band room. I also use the donuts on these cabs as well.

I have not noticed a issue with the ohmage thing. Boogies are designed well, and quite possibly sound punchier at 4 ohms.

These are my personal experiences in "The ext cab zone".

Wow, so help me here. You are using a cab with a michell donut and stacking a stock one above it? Woould it be more advantagious to use a different cab with a different speaker?What is this michell donut and how does it affect the sound? Since I don't plan to use a bigger set up than this (2 cabs stacked), would this set up alone be sufficient to tighten the bass response and give me a little more ...oomph? So to speak. Thanks, Marc.

I,m stacking the 2x12 combo on top of a 2x12 ext cab using C-90's and webers. Mixing different speakers gives more tonal complexity thru out the frequency spectrum including improved "oomph". Some speakers are strong in the mids while others are tight in the bass and highs. Mixing them is like putting together a single speaker tone that one speaker can't do.

Cabs can vary in design and can produce different tonal qualities. I prefer a closed back ext cab for a more focused punch. Front ported cabs add even more "oomph" such as the mesa thiele.

Mitchell donuts help with the problem of the sound heard standing in front of the amp being so directive. As one moves off this center point in front of an amp, the sound changes with less highs etc. The donuts help to give a more equal tone from different angles in front of the amp.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41349

Closed back ext cab for me. Sometimes I stack it, sometimes I split the cabs. It's a really nice sound when they're split wide. 2 x 12 Black Shadows in both.

I've played pretty big venues with my stock 2x12 LSC combo. If for any strange reason I would ever need more speakers, I would just plug in my two 2x12 MESA Rectifier horizontal cabs (I would not stack these...). The bottom is just a tad tighter with these monsters. A little more focused according to me. Doubt that I'll ever need to do that though... This amp kicks *** by itself. By far the most versitile amp I have ever owned. Cuts through everything with no hesitation. WONDERFUL

Latest posts

Back