Express vs. Lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I already know all of the different features, so please don't waste your time talking about all that. What I'm wondering is if there is any real difference in tone between the Express series and the Lonestar series. I know I'll have to hear it for myself, but I very rarely make it to my local dealer, and I figure a lot of you have owned or at least played both. So... what are your opinions? Thanks!

Funny you should ask :). My amp choice came down between those two. The Lonestar is an awesome amp but produces a much different sound than the 5:50. I don't know if it's just the tubes (EL84's) and/or the circuitry difference (or both) but the Lonestar doesn't growl nearly as strong as the Express (5:50, is the one I have). I cranked the gain to the max on the Lonestar, and while it did overdrive it some, it was no where what the Express produces in terms of crunch and burn. So if you're looking for a heavily overdriven sound you'll be disappointed with the Lonestar. If you want an amp with great cleans that puts a little dirt on things the Lonestar is your amp. I selected the Express over the Lonestar due to the more aggressive crunch and the Express is also more versatile in terms of sound....you can get just about whatever you want out of it...including awesome cleans. Keep in mind that the Express comes in 2 versions; the 5:25 and 5:50. The 5:25 uses EL84's and a 10" speaker while the 5:50 uses 6L6's with a 12" speaker. The Express is switchable between 5 and 25 or 50 watts, depending on model. The Lonestar is switchable between 5, 15, and 30 watts (IIRC), which is nice. Hope this helps.

Sooo - which Lonestars & which Expresses - there's 6 - when you add on different speakers sizes

The LSS and 5.25's (1x12") are EL84 amps with same speaker sizes so are directly comparable.

THe LSC and the 5:50 are both 6L6 amps & are therefore comparable.

Not directly comparable IMO are the LSC and a 5:25 or a LSS and a 5:50.
Neither is a LSS and a 5:25 (1x10")

Comparing the 5:50 (1x12") and the LSC which I have many times.
I find the cleans & reverb almost identical on both.
IMO the 5:50 is basically a higher gain version of the LSC.
5:50 has a lot more gain and is therefore more versatile. :mrgreen:

Thank you for the more complete comparison, newysufer.

I tested a lonestar special (El84 tubes) just to make sure I wouldn't regret getting the 5:25 1x12. I thought it sounded a bit smoother and a bit bigger, but was really surprised that the differnece was so minor. So I happily went home with the 5:25. My budget didn't extend to the Lonestar so I was never going to get one, but had the Lonestar killed the 5:25 for tone I would have passed on the 5:25.

The Lonestar has more real power and headroom, and many other features that make it a fully profesional amp. Being fan cooled it should stand up to bening used all day everyday. The 5:25 had the ticks in the right boxes for me which is tone, verstility and low weight (compared to other Mesa amps at least). It also has less tubes to replace/fail.

Back