Express Series, 6L6 vs EL84?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriskross179

Reaction score
So am I right in thinking that 6L6 = Fender cleans while EL84 = Vox cleans? How do the gain characteristics compare between the two variations of this amp? Is the 6L6 version the "meaner" of the two?

Never played an Express, myself. But there was someone here that just recently posted that in his A/B experience between the 25 and 50, there was significantly more bottom from the 5:50. To which he asked if this was due solely to the speaker difference, and I responded with the tube difference as the partial, but cumulative, difference in the two different voicings.

So yeah, you will hear a difference, to be sure. But I personally wouldn't go with "meaner" to describe the differences. In my limited experience with EL84s (but 6L6s are my favorite amps), the 84s have less bottom, more pronounced mids and upper-mids, and the OD character (voice) is simply different. Gotta try and see if you like it yourself :)

Edward

I tried both and liked the 5:50 1x12 6l6. the 6l6 have more punch with more headroom(no knock on the el84). i needed that for playing out live and I'm more of a marshall kind of guy vs Vox. Still I love both (marshall and Vox) and el84's are sweet. It's going to depend on you. The el84's get dirty faster and have a different thicker loser bottom IMHO and in the two amps there's the difference on power too. The 5 watt option is a great feature on both these amps.

Before you settle on either of these amps make sure to try their big brothers: Lone Star 'Classic' (6L6) and Lone Star Special (EL84). Both are great amps. If you end up sold on EL84 (doesn't sound like you are) try a Dr. Z Maz Jr or Maz Sr as well. Not as versatile as Mesa but monster tone.

All of these amps are significantly more expensive than Express. I tried the Express line to see if I could save money; I just wasn't sold on the sound compared to the Lone Stars.

6L6s are fatter more clean headroom and a more distinctive 'Fender' vibe. EL84s (probably my favorite) breakup earlier (and beautifully) and have more edge.

I can get Voxy tones out of my 5:25 (el84). In fact, I was looking to purchase a Vox AC30, but thought that I could nail the same tones (plus more!) in a smaller, less expensive, higher-gain package.

I A/B'd the 5:50 & 5:25 before buying the 5:25 -- to my ears, the middy sound, earlier break-up and Voxy chimes were more important to me than the Fenderish cleans and thumpier bottom-end.

I have played 6L6 amps all of my playing life. I tried EL 84 amps and never liked them-until now. I tried out a Lone Star Special a couple of weeks ago and have purchased a head (still waiting on delivery). I haven't tried out the Express series but have read many, many great reviews on both models. Your best bet is to try one out. Even if you have to buy a used one, if you ended up not liking it you could resell the thing and not loose much (if any) money, at least from I have seen on eBay the last few weeks.

JMHO,

TW

Back