Express review in Guitar One Online

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
http://www.guitarworld.com/guitar_one_gear

On the left side about a quarter way down the screen is a small box with a scroll bar. Use the scroll to find the Mesa Boogie Express review, it's the 4th or 5th review.

Great demo.

They clearly demo the contour knob, and what effect it has on the second channel.

However, I wish they would have taken the time to compare the 5 watt mode to the 25/50 watt mode at the same output. Therefore, demonstrating the output saturation added with the 5 watt mode, and not emphasizing the quietness. Notice the output knob?

The stream is very low quality (as with most G1 streams), adding a serious fizz to the audio, but notice the micing positions. They have got to know what they are doing with the choice of placement ... it's just the quality is not broadcasted for the world over the internet (>64kbps audio).

Overall, Thanks for the link. Pretty good idea of what the Express is capable of now!!!

Thanks for posting that.

Amp sounds great despite the low quality of the audio. Seems like it's geared more to rockers and people who need a good clean sound (the cleans sound awesome!) but from what I can tell from this clip I don't think the amp would be too good for metal.. I would really like to hear the 5:50 through a 4 x 12.

yeah, very nice. wonder what that 5:50 burn would sound like if the channel vol was at 11:00 and upped the gain a little more tho...

5:25 seemed like a less expensive version of the lonestar special to me. i don't know guess i just have to play them. have to say pretty impressive for a amp that is $1000 US.

Good demo. Someone else said that the Express series are voiced similar to Lonestars. In contrast, the F-series had more of a Mark series voice. I agree with Dopeman, you'd need a pedal to get into metal territory.

It's more for anyone looking for a really nice clean and nice vintage style breakup for jazz, blues, country & rock.

I have had a 5:25 for about two weeks now. The demo was good, showing features and all, however the sound quality just did not do the amp justice.

The 5:25 definitely is not a metal amp. However, with my OCD I can get pretty close to high gain territory in the clean channel or doubling up on the crunch of channel one.

I am very pleased with how full this amp sounds. I was worried about the 10" speaker at first. Mesa has done an excellent job doing what they said they wanted to accomplish with this amp. They wanted to make a compact amp with a HUGE sound. I feel they have succeeded.

The amp holds very well in a band setting. Even in the five watt setting in rehearsal the amp has a very nice tone when cranked. It seems to have a nice power tube distortion that is just primo. A perfect mix of British and American tone. This amp definitely sounds "in your face" enough for me. It doesn't sound "boxxy" for being a small speaker amp. I can get a great country tone in the 5 watt mode (think Brad Paisley) or I can get a really nice searing overdrive (think AC/DC) in 25 watt mode. The Dyna Watt feature is very nice. It really makes this amp sound as if it is pushing 30 watts and not 25 watts.

It has taken the place of my Rivera M-60 definitely. The portability and tone for its size are WAY to good to pass up. I didn't think I would ever get an amp that had this type of tone for its size. I did. I am glad I tried it out!

I wonder why he dimes the gain on the 5:25/burn and didn't do it for the 5:50.
I really want to hear the 5:50 at its full gain potential...and not with a cheesy blues riff LOL.
With that said I'm really happy magazines have been doing those reviews to be included on the cd's with their mags or available on the net.
Thanks for the link man.

cottoneyedjoe said:
I have had a 5:25 for about two weeks now. The demo was good, showing features and all, however the sound quality just did not do the amp justice.

The 5:25 definitely is not a metal amp. However, with my OCD I can get pretty close to high gain territory in the clean channel or doubling up on the crunch of channel one.

I am very pleased with how full this amp sounds. I was worried about the 10" speaker at first. Mesa has done an excellent job doing what they said they wanted to accomplish with this amp. They wanted to make a compact amp with a HUGE sound. I feel they have succeeded.

The amp holds very well in a band setting. Even in the five watt setting in rehearsal the amp has a very nice tone when cranked. It seems to have a nice power tube distortion that is just primo. A perfect mix of British and American tone. This amp definitely sounds "in your face" enough for me. It doesn't sound "boxxy" for being a small speaker amp. I can get a great country tone in the 5 watt mode (think Brad Paisley) or I can get a really nice searing overdrive (think AC/DC) in 25 watt mode. The Dyna Watt feature is very nice. It really makes this amp sound as if it is pushing 30 watts and not 25 watts.

It has taken the place of my Rivera M-60 definitely. The portability and tone for its size are WAY to good to pass up. I didn't think I would ever get an amp that had this type of tone for its size. I did. I am glad I tried it out!

Well, since I can't view the video, think you could answer a couple of questions for me? I've had my eye on the Express ever since it was announced.

How does the 10 inch speaker compare to a 12 inch? Noticeable difference or not at all?
Would it be able to handle Iron Maiden / Judas Priest tones without an OD pedal? Or would one be needed?
How does the blues tone compare to the clean?

Thanks.

Thanks for the link. I ordered a 5.25 last week (first boogie ever). Just dig the versatility in such a compact amp. I would have liked to hear the reverb cranked on the clean channel. Also, maybe they should have gotten the power tubes working at least a tad.

Finally thanks to the guys at Guitar One for making me feel so good about my own playing again..........................lol

ned said:
http://www.guitarworld.com/guitar_one_gear

On the left side about a quarter way down the screen is a small box with a scroll bar. Use the scroll to find the Mesa Boogie Express review, it's the 4th or 5th review.

Hmmm. Maybe its the player, or the sound quality of the video, or most likely the fact that he was hardly cracking open the volume at all, but the demo didn't do much for me. A variety of okay tones, but none that I would call great. And this surprises me because I own and love the F-series amps, which seem to be very similar to the Express. I guess I'll have to go try one out for myself.

D7

The 5:25 is every bit as full sounding as my Rivera M-60 with a 12 inch JBL.

It is very "in your face". I was surprised by how large this little amp sounded. Also, I can do metal with it. I put an OCD on the front end and also drove the crunch channel a bit to get that "tone".

You can do Iron Maiden and Priest with it, but you have to bump the channel a little with a pedal (well, for me at least). I do think the amp has sufficient gain to make it a good metal amp. 90% of what I play is high gain with the band I play in and for a combo of portability and tone you cannot beat it.

Also, you can try this trick. I ran the 5:25 combo into a 12 inch 1986 Boogie 1x12 cabinet and that ROCKED! It didn't sound any better, just different. I know that is hard to explain, but there was a little more clarity and note definition with the 10 inch speaker (believe it or not...)

What I like about it is the combination of a good Class A sound in 5 watt mode and a good mix of the British and American tones in 25 watt mode. Also, the Dyna Watt feature does bring a tonal characteristic to this amp that other 25 watts don't have.

Put it this way. I was going to get an Orange Rockerverb 50 (bright, bright, and high gain....) but I settled on the tone of this little beast. It is VERY versatile for its size and tonal quality. Try one out if you can. You will not be disappointed.

Back