Express 5:50 vs. F-50 Comparisson

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashjn

Reaction score
Anyone compared the 2 sound-wise? I know the difference feature-wise, but couldn't really find anywhere if the Express is similar to the F-Series or different

I have an F-50 and I tried the 5:50. There are similarities, but there are also differences. The reverb is a huge improvement. Also, the 5 watt mode adds some dimension and personality over the F-50.

Yes, although they are voiced a little different. The adjustable contour lets you have more control over your tone. It gives you more lattitude to shape your sound.

screamndemon69 said:
so can it be said that the 5:50 is an "improved" F-50 for around $100 more?

No, I'd say Vastly improved for $100 more......

Look at what was added:

5 Watt Class A
Channel Assignable/Adjustable Contour
2 Modes per channel
Vastly Improved reverb, now tube driven

....I'm sure I probably missed something, but anyone of those updates is worth at least 3 times the $100 price hike.

JAZZGEAR said:
screamndemon69 said:

Look at what was added:

5 Watt Class A
2 Modes per channel

....I'm sure I probably missed something, but anyone of those updates is worth at least 3 times the $100 price hike.
IMO, none of the updates are worth $100 if the tone isn't there.

hal9000 said:
JAZZGEAR said:
screamndemon69 said:

Look at what was added:

5 Watt Class A
2 Modes per channel

IMO, none of the updates are worth $100 if the tone isn't there.

Duh? No kidding.....in the end that's what it's all about.

In this case, the tone is there :!:

JAZZGEAR said:
Duh? No kidding.....in the end that's what it's all about.

In this case, the tone is there :!:
That's good to know. Could you compare and contrast the clean and overdrive channels of the 5:50 with the F-50?

Brewski said:
Yes, although they are voiced a little different. The adjustable contour lets you have more control over your tone. It gives you more lattitude to shape your sound.

Could you explain the difference in the voicing?

i noticed a few members talking about the ones they have but i was just curious how long ago they hit the shelves and when Mesa let the word out that the F-50 was being replaced?

Mesa says they've been shipping for 3 weeks now.... My local GS won't be carrying them until they sell all their F-series amps. However they WILL special order an Express for you... at 8-10 weeks lead time! :(
I just found another local store that actually has a 5:25 in stock! I'll be paying them a visit tomorrow! :D

I only had a few minutes with the amp, and when I tried it out, I was in 5 watt mode. It seemed warmer and had very subtle harmonics that surrounded the chords/notes that I played. The improved reverb added, making it sound fuller and more natural. The switches on each channel clean/crunch ch 1 and blues/burn on ch 2 along with seperate contour controls for each channel added layers of tone shaping that gives you more control.

Even though the 5:50 is similar to the F:50 in ways, it also shares some aspects of the Lone Star.

Brewski said:

Even though the 5:50 is similar to the F:50 in ways, it also shares some aspects of the Lone Star.

+1, To my ears, I thought the cleans were very reminiscent of the LSC cleans :wink:

screamndemon69 said:
i noticed a few members talking about the ones they have but i was just curious how long ago they hit the shelves and when Mesa let the word out that the F-50 was being replaced?

Our local store had them about the 28th or 29th of January, shortly after NAMM. The F-50's were discounted at the same time, from what I saw. I think a few were in stores a day or two before that.

There were rumors running around for a while that the F-series was being replaced, but I can't put a date on it.

Latest posts

Back